Apple Bacon and Cheddar Grilled Cheese: This savory sandwich is complemented by the sweet apple to make it comfort food to the max. When cut in hearts, it’s perfect for day 9 of the 14 Days of Love!
They didn’t, but that would have been awesome. My childhood would have been made. Well, with that and a Full House reunion TV show (there’s still hope).
On to more important matters, what do these sandwiches have to do with Super Bowl? Nothing, really. But Super Bowl has been on my mind (even though I spent the last quarter doing this) and I made these awesome grilled cheese sandwiches, so that’s really the extent of my correlation.
Back in the day, cheese and apples were a thing I thought was unbelievably weird. Who eats cheese with their pie? A lot of people apparently. I still don’t, but I have broadened my horizons to mixing it on glorious grilled cheese sandwiches shaped like adorable Valentine’s hearts.
This recipe might seem like a cop-out for this Love series (since it’s not a decadent, sugary dessert), but I am actually really fond of it. I love taking an everyday thing and turning it into something festive. Sometimes there isn’t enough time to make a pink dessert, but this sandwich is something that can be thrown together at a moment’s notice–even with cutting the bread into hearts!
If you or your kids aren’t a fan of apple and cheese, feel free to leave it out. Bacon and cheddar is totally a combination that can only be described as winning. I’ll even hashtag that sucker. #winning
Now, onto the heart-shaped bread (if you so choose), all you need to do is use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the bread into the heart shape. From there, the sandwich is built like a typical grilled cheese, grilled, and devoured. In seconds. Between the melty cheese, crispy bacon, and crunchy apple, I couldn’t hold back.
Yields 4 Sandwiches
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
- 8 slices of large bread (for my pictures, I used whole wheat and sheepherders)
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese (or mild)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 1 apple, thinly sliced (I used honeycrisp, but granny smith or any kind would be fine)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- If you decide to turn the sandwiches into hearts, use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the bread into heart shapes. I used a big heart-shaped cookie cutter, getting 1 heart per slice, totaling 8 hearts. Skip this step if you just want the sandwich.
- On a bread board, lay out all 8 slices of bread, buttering 1 side of each slice with 1/2 Tbsp of butter (feel free to use more or less if you'd prefer).
- On the unbuttered side of a slice of bread, begin layering the sandwich. Begin with a slice of cheese on the bottom. Top with two pieces of bacon. Top with a thin layer of apples. Top with another slice of cheese. Place the unbuttered side of another slice of bread on top. Do the same for all other sandwiches.
- Cook in a pan over med-low heat for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip the sandwiches over and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.