These classic baked chocolate donuts are topped with a homemade vanilla glaze and lots of pretty sprinkles! These are perfect for Valentine’s Day, breakfast, and dessert!
My niece has discovered FaceTiming, and it’s probably the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. According to my sister, she points to the phone, says who she wants to call, and waits expectantly. Apparently, at 18 months, she knows exactly what she wants. In the words of my sister, “She’s a little boss.” 😂
I can say without a doubt she is the cutest little boss I’ve ever seen.
Speaking of my favorite niece (for those of you thinking I play favorites, I only have one niece 😉), these chocolate sprinkle donuts were technically made for her 1st birthday party. Aka, a little over 6 months ago.
Well, better late than never, right? Trust me, not only are these chocolate donuts adorable (almost as adorable as my niece), they also taste just like childhood and Saturday mornings (aka, amazing)!
Sprinkle donuts were always the first ones I begged for whenever we were at a donut shop when I was younger. There’s something incredibly fun about sprinkles, and as a kid, I couldn’t resist their charm. Now, as an adult, I’d love to say sprinkles don’t get me every time, but…
They’re just so pretty. You almost can’t help but smile when see them.
Plus, I’m obsessed with these sprinkles in particular. I found them stuffed on a shelf at Home Goods, and with all of its teal, pink, and purple charm, these sprinkles might be my best purchase from there.
I’m a big fan whenever chocolate and breakfast go hand in hand. 😉 These chocolate sprinkle donuts with a vanilla glaze won’t disappoint.
These classic baked chocolate donuts are topped with a homemade vanilla glaze and lots of pretty sprinkles! These are perfect for Valentine's Day, breakfast, and dessert!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder (optional, but it brings out the flavor of chocolate)
- 1 egg
- 6 Tbsp half & half
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp whole milk (2% is fine as well)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a donut pan with baking spray; set aside.
- In a bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder together until well combined. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg and half & half together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the wet ingredients. Mix until combined (batter will be fairly thick).
- Add in sour cream, vanilla extract, and butter; mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into greased donut pan, filling each donut cavity about 3/4 of the way full (this batter can make about 7-8 donuts).
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until the donut 'springs' back when touched. Allow to cool a few minutes before removing from the pan.
- Whisk powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and 2 Tbsp of milk together until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add in the remaining Tbsp of milk.
- Dip each donut in the glaze, and top with sprinkles. Allow the glaze to harden, about 1-2 minutes.
Here are some other sprinkle desserts I think you’ll love!