Orange Cream Scones: These tender cream scones are packed with orange flavor and topped with a sweet orange glaze!
When I played AYSO soccer, it was a given that half-time snacks included orange slices. After a particularly brutal first half (I got body checked once when I was 10–never underestimate the competitive nature of adolescent girls playing the beautiful game), sweet oranges and cold water were a welcomed thing of glory.
Did you also know that when you play soccer for your high school team that oranges are not included in the half-time deal? What’s with that? Don’t get me wrong, I love the game for the sport, and I loved playing it, but, oranges were (and are) always a nice incentive.
This is probably why I am not a professional soccer player and instead have a food blog where I can proclaim my love for anything and everything orange.
Well, do you Yum? If you know what I’m talking about, I’m virtually high-fiving you! If you don’t I’ll explain and then we can all virtually high five!
Guys, it’s great! And you can use the handy-dandy Yum button at the top of the page to get your Yum on, starting with these orange cream scones. What a perfect first recipe for y’all 🙂
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp orange zest (about the zest of 1 large orange)
- 1/2 cup cubed butter, cold
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional--it makes the glaze extra orange-flavored!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or spray with cooking oil).
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter and mix the dough until the butter is about the size of peas and the dough resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, egg, sour cream, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Mix with dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and pat into a 1" thick circle. Cut into 8 triangles.
- Brush the tops of each scone with a little bit of heavy cream, and bake for 15-16 minutes, or until scones are golden brown.
- While the scones are cooling, mix together melted butter, powdered sugar (starting with 1 cup), vanilla extract, orange juice, and orange zest. If the glaze seems too thin, add in the last 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
- Pour the glaze over the scones and enjoy!
My favorite products used in this recipe:
Check out my other scone recipes!