Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies: Rich, fudgy brownies topped with homemade peanut butter frosting and chocolate covered pretzels. Salty and sweet never tasted so good.
But, it’s true. About all of them. In my world (the world where food rules all and I base my life decisions on my eating habits), all three of those flavor combinations are tied for the best. Yes, I live in a very fattening world. I run for chocolate. And cake. And cheesecake. And cookies. And french fries—
Yeah, I run because (clearly) I live to eat.
So, let me just tell you how thankful I am we’re past swimsuit season. I can indulge in these little chocolate squares of Heaven without feeling guilty.
I mean, I still would have indulged in them a couple of months ago; it’s just now I don’t have to feel guilty about it. 🙂
It’s a real win/win, I tell ya.
Let’s chat about these intensely rich brownies for a sec. This recipe can be made with a homemade batter or store-bought batter. If in a pinch, I totally endorse boxed brownie mixes because they manage to make incrediblely fudgy and chocolatey brownies. My favorites are Ghiradelli and Betty Crocker.
Even though I love my homemade brownie recipe, these pictures where shot with Ghiradelli’s Triple Chocolate Chunk brownie mix. And you know what? They’re just as good as homemade batter. Ghiradelli knows what’s up when it comes to chocolate.
And the peanut butter frosting?
Have you ever had a buckeye?
Because the frosting tastes just like them. Butter, peanut butter, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. How could it not be good with those ingredients?! I like to mix in crushed chocolate covered pretzels, but you can sprinkle them on top if you prefer.
Once whipped altogether, spread it over the cooled brownies, aaaand then eat.
And eat, and eat, and eat.
And eat some more.
- 1 Boxed Brownie Mix or Homemade Brownie Mix
- 1/2 c softened butter
- 1 c peanut butter
- 1-2 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c store bought, or 1/2 c homemade (1/8 c melted chocolate chips mixed with 1/2 c small pretzels)
- Make your brownies (boxed or homemade batter) according to their instructions and bake them in a 9x9 or 11x7 pan.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- While the brownies are cooling, if you're making your own pretzels, melt the chocolate chips over a double broiler or in the microwave.
- Mix the pretzels into the chocolate, and allow to cool in the refrigerator until firm (about 30 minutes or so).
- Once they have cooled, break them into pieces.
- With a hand mixer or standing mixer, beat butter and peanut butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until the frosting reaches your desired consistency. I used about 1 1/2 cups.
- Add in vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Fold in chocolate covered pretzel pieces.
- Spread peanut butter frosting over the brownies.
- Slice and serve.
If you’re a fan of these chocolate delights, you’ll love these: