This easy apple dump cake recipe is made in the slow cooker! Only 6-ingredients stand between you and this amazing fall dessert! Plus, there’s a fun how-to video below and on Facebook!
So, at what point is it not too early to listen Christmas music?
I’m asking for a friend…
I mean, mid-October isn’t that weird when you consider the fact the majority of the stores already have some of their Christmas inventory out, right? And, after this post, I’ve now seen a second Christmas commercial.
And Hallmark is planning on starting their cheesy-but-lovable-Christmas-movie-two-month-marathon-extravaganza in a couple of weeks (don’t ask how I know this), so listening to a little holly jolly music a few weeks early is practically nothing…
Please don’t judge me (for that 👆 or for showing you the best, easiest slow cooker dessert in the world).
All right, so if we’re going to be honest, ‘dump’ is not necessarily an appealing word. Saying things like, ‘hey, want some dump cake?’ doesn’t really bring to mind warm, fuzzy feelings of maybe wanting to eat your feelings in delicious cake.
I was first introduced to dump cake in college, and was pretty confused by the name until I realized it came from the fact that you dump all of the ingredients into a dish. Clever, yeah? So, this cake is practical and ridiculously easy.
The video says it all.
Probably the most genius kitchen appliance there is.
Make this. You won’t regret it.
Yields 9-10 Servings
10 minPrep Time
4 hrCook Time
- 2 cups chopped apples (I used Jonagold apples, but any kind would be fine)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup apple cider (or apple juice)
- 1 box spice cake mix (yellow or white would work as well, it just won't have as much spiced flavor)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Spray the bottom of a slow cooker with baking spray (I used a 3.5 quart crock-pot, but a 4 or 4.5 quart would be fine). Add apples to the bottom of the dish in an even layer.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over the apples. Pour apple cider over the apples.
- Evenly sprinkle the cake mix on top of the apples.
- Pour butter over the cake mix.
- Place lid on slow cooker.**
- Cook on high for 3 1/2 - 4 hours (until there isn't any dry cake mix and the middle of the cake looks set).
- Best when served warm. Add ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
**You can place a paper towel between the lid and the slow cooker if you are worried about condensation dripping on the cake. My slow cooker lid has a hole in it to release condensation, so I did not need a paper towel.
Favorite tools I used in this recipe:
Here are some other favorite apple recipes: