S’more Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars: Part s’more, part chocolate chip cookie–this dessert is a blend of summer and all things delicious in your mouth!
Isn’t it a great day to bake? The sun is out (at least here it is–here’s to hoping its out and shining by you too!), the 4th is almost here, and we’re closer to the weekend than we were yesterday!
When I was in school, I had a hate/hate relationship with Wednesdays. Wasn’t it the hardest day to go to school? You’ve mentally prepared yourself for Monday and Tuesday, and Thursday was fine because the next day is Friday. And, of course, Friday was great because it was center day and the weekend. But Wednesdays were tough. The only thing to make it a little more bearable were the amazing chocolate chip cookies my school sold at morning recess.
Looking back, selling chocolate chip cookies to a bunch of elementary aged students at 9 in the morning probably wasn’t the healthiest idea ever. I’m sure Jamie Oliver would have a fit if he knew that happened, but I certainly wasn’t complaining. =)
This recipe works great for a big crowd because it can easily be doubled to fit a 1/2 sheet pan (I’m obsessed with the one I recently bought at Williams-Sonoma) and it is incredibly easy. You start by making a graham cracker crust, add a layer of marshmallow creme, and top it with my chocolate chip cookie dough. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes and you’ve got summer in a bar right in your hands.
- 2 c crushed graham crackers
- 1/2 c melted butter
- 1 8 oz jar Marshmallow Creme
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 c milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 9 square pan.
- Combine melted butter and graham cracker crumbs until fully combined. Press graham crust into the bottoms of the greased pan.
- Spread marshmallow creme over the crust. This is a bit tricky since marshmallow creme is sticky, but do your best =) It doesn't have to be perfect. A trick I use is to spray my spatula or knife with cooking spray.
- For the cookie layer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add in the sugars and beat until well combined. Add in the egg, vanilla, and salt. Beat.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture and mix. Add in chocolate chips.
- Press cookie dough in an even layer over the marshmallow creme.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cookie dough is set.