Strawberry Blueberry Fruit Crisp with Orange Whipped Cream: This simple fruit crisp recipe is packed with fresh strawberries and blueberries and topped with both a delicious brown sugar topping and homemade orange whipped cream. Fruit crisp for the win.
March 14th is National Pi Day! And my brother’s birthday–but he’s a vegan and gluten-free and eats raw so he doesn’t get cake (or pie) from me. Not to sound lazy or anything, but it’s all way too much work. 🙂
Anyway (the word I’m sure you’re all looking for), it’s Pi Day and I’m totally cheating here with this strawberry blueberry crisp. It’s not your traditional pie, but the filling and flavor–plus the crumb topping–is just like pie. All that’s missing is the buttery, calorie-laden crust, so you (and your jeans) can totally thank me now that you don’t have to feel guilty about piling on the homemade orange whipped cream.
That’s right, orange whipped cream. What a citrus dream.
Since they will always sink, the key to counteracting it as much as possible is packing in as much fruit into your dish or ramekin. It might look as if it’s overflowing (it is), and it’s a real trick to transfer it from the counter to the oven without having a few casualties on the way; however, this is totally how you want it.
Pile it high and deep. Trust me.
And, let’s be honest, the further down it sinks, the more circumference there is for whipped cream, ice cream, or whipped cream and ice cream. (Did you catch that math reference I threw in there? I’m a little proud so I’m going to shamelessly pat myself on the back for it).
Now, if you really don’t like the rustic look, during the last few minutes of its baking time, make sure to watch the oven closely. As soon as you see the fruit begin to bubble, pull them out of the oven to avoid any overflow.
Yields 4 Small Ramekins
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced in quarters
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar, optional (I did not use any sugar in the filling, but if you like sweeter fruit filling, feel free to do this)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss strawberries and blueberries with cornstarch (and 1 Tbsp of sugar if using). Set aside.
- Mix brown sugar, oats, and flour in a small bowl. Cut in butter and blend with a pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Spoon fruit mixture into 4 small ramekins (about 1 cup of filling per ramekin, give or take). Evenly spread the topping over each one, packing it on.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
- While the crisps are cooling*, beat the heavy whipping cream with a mixer on high. Once the cream begins to form soft peaks, turn the mixer off and add in powdered sugar and zest. Mix on high until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- Dollop the whipped cream on each crisp and enjoy!
*Crisp can be served either warm or cold--totally depends on your preference! 🙂
If you like these, I think you’ll love these pie recipes: