Strawberry Hand Pies: The perfect summer dessert! Delicious strawberries wrapped in a flaky cream cheese crust–how could you go wrong?!
You know how inside of each Dove chocolate wrapper there is a ridiculously cheesy phrase? Ah, those are seriously the highlight of my day. I know they’re supposed to be uplifting and encouraging, but they are so incredibly trite that I cannot help but laugh.
Today’s phrase: “Take good care of yourself.”
Thanks, Dove. That’s really insightful and helpful.
I am sharing pie with you all so I guess we all get to head Dove’s astute advice. 🙂
I have a dessert addiction.
The therapy for it? Balancing it out with my coffee and comfort food addiction. The key to life is all about balance. That’s why today’s recipe is for hand pies. They’re smaller than a traditional piece of pie. Balance. 🙂
This pie dough recipe is one that my aunt uses all of the time. It’s part butter, cream cheese, and flour. The cream cheese gives it a creaminess and unique flavor that sets it apart from a traditional butter crust. And I really love how the cream cheese flavor pairs with the strawberry filling.
Because of the cream cheese, the pie dough does need to be chilled for about 30-60 minutes. And, when rolling it out, it does need a good amount of flour or powdered sugar on the workspace to avoid the dough sticking to whatever surface you’re working on.
The filling is easy as pie–literally. You combine chopped strawberries with sugar, vanilla, a little lemon zest, and cornstarch for thickening, and there you have it. This pie could not be easier. It’s amazing and flavorful and what more could you ask for in summer especially since it’s strawberry season?
Shameless promoting: Please, if you’re loving my desserts, feel free to keep in touch by signing up for my email updates, or following me on Pinterest, Insta, or Bloglovin’. All links are at the top of my blog. 🙂
Yields 12 hand pies
1 hr, 10 Prep Time
30 minCook Time
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 c flour
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- zest of half a lemon
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten (for eggwash)
- Extra sugar for sprinkling
- Whipped cream, ice cream, or powdered sugar
- With a mixer, cream butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.
- Add in flour and mix just until dough comes together.
- Place dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place parchment paper on a pan and set aside.
- On a floured or powdered sugared surface, knead the dough a couple of times until it is a nice round ball. Then, roll dough into a circle with a rolling pin, about 1/4" thick.
- Using a 3" biscuit cutter, cut out as many dough rounds as possible (about 5-6). Place dough rounds on sheet pan.
- Form the dough back into a ball, and roll out again. Cut out 5-6 more rounds. The recipe should yield 12 dough rounds, so keep repeating this step until you have 12 rounds (because of the cream cheese in the dough, it will not get tough or overworked like traditional pie dough).
- In a small bowl, gently combine chopped strawberries, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, and cornstarch.
- Fill each pie round with 1-2 Tbsp of filling.
- Take one side of the dough and pull it over the filling. Use a fork to crimp the edges together and poke an air hole at the top of the pie. Do for all pies.
- Brush each pie with eggwash. Sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pie is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, ice cream, or whipped cream.
So, what’s your favorite pie? Tell me below 🙂