The Ultimate Turkey Club Skewers: These deconstructed turkey club sandwiches are packed with the works: turkey, bacon, avocado, cheese, tomatoes, and toasted bread! They’re portable, easy to put together, and so fun to eat!
Carnivals. County fairs. And foods on sticks.
From caramel apples to corndogs to frozen bananas, there is an endless supply of portable foods that I feel are my duty as a self-proclaimed foodie to try.
Plus, I don’t know about you, but carnival rides freak me out. Call me crazy, but there’s just something a little terrifying about riding on something that can be folded up and transported to another town. I’ve played Roller Coaster Tycoon, and I know that even rides built into the ground malfunction, so I’d prefer to stay away from the portable ones.
So, really, my only reason to go to carnivals and fairs is to eat my way through them. And every year, I regret nothing.
When I was younger, turkey clubs were the meal of choice. I’ve always been a sandwich person–especially a grilled cheese person–and I loved that the turkey clubs were piled high and deep with the good stuff.
The other day, I saw, I tried, and I loved an antipasto salad put on skewers. It was a genius beyond genius idea. Now, of course, I want to put everything on skewers, but for now, I’ll just stick with these turkey club sandwiches.
They’re so easy to make and skew, and feel free to load ’em up however you want! It’s not an exact science, so just alternate with whatever ingredients you want!
Come on, don’t foods on sticks just taste better? Oh, and these would be the PERF side dish. #waytooexcited
These deconstructed turkey club sandwiches are packed with the works: turkey, bacon, avocado, cheese, tomatoes, and toasted bread! They're portable, easy to put together, and so fun to eat!
- 6 slices of bread, toasted and cut into fourths (3 pieces per skewer)
- 32 slices of turkey (4 slices per skewer)
- 16 slices of cheese (2 slices per skewer); any type is fine
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and cut into fourths (4 pieces per skewer)
- 16 slices of tomatoes or 16 grape tomatoes (2 per skewer)
- 16 slices of avocado, cubed (2 per skewer)
- 16 small pieces of lettuce (2 per skewer)
- sauce, if desired (I used thousand island)
- 8 large skewers (metal or wood)
- For each skewer, begin with a piece of bread. If using sauce, place the sauce on the bread and skewer the piece with the sauce side facing downward.
- Next, slide on a piece of turkey (folded into fourths works best), a piece of cheese, a piece of bacon, a slice of tomato, piece of lettuce, slice of avocado, a piece of bacon, and a slice of turkey.
- Slide on another piece of bread, and repeat the steps above, finishing it with a slice of bread (if using sauce, place the sauced side upwards so that it is touching the meat).
- Repeat for all skewers.*
*Feel free to mix up the order of ingredients or the ratio of ingredients. If you like more cheese, add more. If you don't like avocado, feel free to omit. Etc. 🙂
If you like this recipe, I think you’ll love these: