Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream: This creamy toasted marshmallow ice cream is like summer in a dish!
Happy Friday! So, have you tried the new s’mores frap from Starbs? Can you believe that the mini option costs more than four dollars? And they weren’t joking when they called it a mini–it’s like the size of my pinky.
It took me a while to actually try the s’mores flavor, because I couldn’t justify selling my soul and wallet to Starbucks for a drink that may or may not taste like their mocha frap. If I’m going to be robbed blind by the corporate coffee world, it had better be for a drink that doesn’t leave me underwhelmed and confused by the flavors (like the birthday cake one–did anyone else think it tasted like a vanilla frap with pink whipped cream for flair?)
I finally did try it after receiving a gift card, and you know what, it wasn’t bad. There was some distinct marshmallow flavor going on in there, which, you know, is a good thing considering it’s a s’mores drink and all.
You know what else has a distinct marshmallow flavor? This ice cream.
When it comes to ice cream, my usual choice is something ridiculously rich. I’m all about the chocolate, peanut butter, and coffee flavors in the ice cream world. And though this ice cream looks deceivingly like vanilla, you can bet your bottom dollar it is rich, creamy, and full of toasted marshmallow goodness!
And, the best part about this ice cream is that there isn’t a custard base! I know making a custard doesn’t take that long, but standing by the stove, when it’s a bajillion degrees, stirring the custard base until it’s thick, and then having to wait until it cools, doesn’t sound like much of a picnic to me. I prefer to use a mixture of half and half and heavy cream, and let me tell you, it’s creamy, dreamy, and downright delicious!
This creamy toasted marshmallow ice cream is like summer in a dish!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half & half
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows, toasted**
- In a large bowl, stir together heavy cream, half & half, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture into your ice cream maker, follow your manufacturer's directions, and churn for about 10-12 minutes, or until the mixture has begun to thicken.
- While the mixture is churning, add in plain marshmallows, marshmallow fluff (in small spoonfuls), and toasted marshmallows (if your ice cream maker does not have an overhead opening, you can alternately fold the marshmallows, toasted marshmallows, and marshmallow fluff with a spatula).
- Allow to churn for 10-12 more minutes, or until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- If you like your ice cream soft serve, eat immediately, otherwise store in a freezer safe container.
**To toast the marshmallows, place them under a broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until they are golden brown (or done to your preference). Keep an eye on them, because if left in there too long, they can catch fire.
Here are some other ice cream recipes you might be interested in!