Triple Chocolate Milky Way Cookies: These death by triple chocolate cookies are a chocolate lover’s paradise. Rich chocolate cookie dough is complemented with white chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and milk chocolate chips. If that isn’t indulgent enough, there are milky way candy bar pieces studded throughout! Chocolate lovers unite.
I didn’t intend on making these. I have a list as long as Santa’s that’s jam-packed with recipe scribbles and margin edits that are illegible, which, let’s be real, complicates things so much further. But, instead of trying to decipher my many notepads and post-its, I had a serious chocolate moment.
While a normal person might be satisfied with a milky way bar from the leftover Halloween candy, a sugar junkie like myself had to put it into a cookie.
There really wasn’t any other option.
Because calories don’t count on the weekend.
It’s a thing. I promise.
And these chocolate on chocolate on chocolate cookies.
Damage control comes later. Why else do Mondays exist?
The thing that makes these cookies so intensely chocolatey is unsweetened cocoa powder. However, instead of using dry cocoa powder, I added a bit of vegetable oil to the cocoa powder in order to give it a melted quality. In fact, cocoa powder and vegetable oil can be substituted for melted chocolate, and vice versa.
Personally, I feel like dry cocoa powder can actually make your cookies dry and crumbly. Mixing it with vegetable oil allows you to use that intensely chocolatey flavor of unsweetened cocoa powder while keeping your cookies perfectly rich and chewy. It’s fabulous.
Thennnn, to take the chocolate flavor over the moon, I added a little bit of espresso powder. I actually use espresso powder in my classic chocolate chip cookie recipes (and in any recipe I can), because espresso powder brings out the flavor of chocolate without adding in any coffee flavor.
Add in a mixture of semi-sweet, white, and milk chocolate chips and a bunch of chopped milky ways, and you have got yourself one of the best, chocolatiest cookies. Ever. In your life.
Milk might be a necessity here.
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 6 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 salt
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 c milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 c white chocolate chips
- 1/2 c chopped milky ways
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder and vegetable oil until completely mixed and has a "melted" quality.
- WIth a mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add in brown sugar and white sugar. Beat until combined.
- Add in cocoa powder mixture and the egg, and cream together.
- Mix in vanilla extract, salt, and espresso powder.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking soda. Add into wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Add in chocolate chips and milky way pieces and stir until combined.
- Scoop cookie dough into 2 Tbsp-sized dough balls, and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Enjoy with a glass of milk!
My favorite products used in this recipe:
Check out my other cookie recipes: