Iced Lemon Tea Cake: This perfect lemon cake tastes like Starbucks’s lemon loaf cake–but even better!
Lemon Meringue Pie.
Lemon Cream Pie.
Lemon is just one of those flavors I can’t get enough of, and now that it’s springtime, it’s time to break out all of those classic lemon pairings. In excess.
This lemon tea cake is in-your-face lemony, which is my favorite kind of lemon flavored dessert. If you’re going to have lemon, it’s should be completely obvious–like a junior high schoolgirl crush.
Now, I’ve always had a thing for Starbucks’s lemon loaf cake. Have you ever mixed a Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino with a piece of lemon loaf cake? Sounds like an odd pairing, but trust me, the mix of Christmas with Easter is brilliant.
Or, a Mocha Coconut Frappuccino with a lemon loaf? Oh yeah, that’s a combo that has you feeling like you’re on the beaches of Tahiti even if you’re sitting in rush hour traffic. Too bad Starbs decided Mocha Coconuts are no longer a spring/summer menu option. Yeah, I’m still a little bitter on that front.
Anyway (the word I’m sure you’re all looking for), these iced lemon tea cakes share a similar resemblance to Starbucks’ loaf cake. However, and maybe I’m biased, I actually think these ones are better than Starbs.
Aaaand they’re cute and little. I don’t know what it is about me and little food items lately, but I’ve been on a mini-food kick.
Cute food is a thing.
This is the perfect Easter dessert, breakfast item, tea snack–really, it’s just perfect for anytime of day.
You really can’t beat something this versatile.
Yields 8 mini cakes or 1 large 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf
This perfect lemon cake tastes like Starbucks's lemon loaf cake--but even better!
25 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 25 Total Time
- Recipe: Makes 8 mini cakes or 1 large 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf
- For the bread:
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 c sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/3 c canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Juice of 1 large lemon, which is about 3-4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, depending upon the lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and lemon zest together. Rub the zest into the sugar until you can smell the lemon aroma. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the sugar mixture into the flour mixture and stir.
- In another bowl, mix milk, canola oil, eggs, lemon juice, almond, and vanilla until well combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan. If using a mini loaf pan, cook for 25-30 minutes. For a 1 large loaf, cook for about 50-60 minutes.
- For the glaze, stir powdered sugar, lemon juice, and almond together until completely combined. After the loaves have cooled for about 10 minutes, pour the glaze directly over the loaves.