Funfetti Cake Batter Cupcakes: These funfetti cupcakes are perfectly dense yet light, and packed with all that amazing cake batter flavor! Plus, the frosting is to die for!
I love Fridays.
As a child, Fridays signified center days at school, the end of a school week (with hopefully no homework), and two days of nothing-to-do-freedom. Do you remember that feeling? Coming home from school and knowing that the next day would be filled with Saturday morning classic cartoons, sleeping in, a full day of playing outside, and no responsibilities was perhaps the best feeling in the world.
In college, Fridays were the start of my weekend and usually spent exploring Pasadena, spending long afternoons with friends, and ignoring all homework responsibilities, for inevitably I knew I would spend the next two days reading and writing papers.
Now, I absolutely love my job so waiting for the weekend to roll around isn’t quite the same as it used to be. Still, though, it’s the principal of thing.
So here’s to Friday! I know the Bangles said it’s Sunday Funday, but Fridays are the funday when funfetti cake batter cupcakes are involved.
As stated before, I don’t really discriminate when it comes to desserts, nor do I pick favorites because it sort of feels like that time you went to a theme park and could only invite one of your best friends and you spent all week fretting about who to invite and how to keep it under wraps. Thank goodness social media didn’t exist then, otherwise your secret theme park trip would have been broadcasted all over Instagram and Facebook, and it would have taken weeks for the friend group dynamic to recover.
So, I don’t like to pick favorites. Of any kind.
But I really, really like funfetti. There is something about the way the sprinkles mix with fluffy vanilla cake that absolutely cannot be beat. And, for a while now, I’ve been under the misconception that boxed funfetti cake reigned supreme to homemade. I love homemade vanilla cake, but I couldn’t seem to get the whole funfetti thing down, that is, until now.
I have been converted to the ways of homemade funfetti. And I tell ya, I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to boxed mix.
This was practically as simple as boxed cake mix and had amazing cupcakery texture. They’re so delicious they’ll have you eating the whole batch.
Yields 12-14 Funfetti Cupcakes
These funfetti cupcakes are perfectly dense yet light, and packed with all that amazing cake batter flavor! Plus, the frosting is to die for!
25 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- Vanilla Buttercream:
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temp
- 3-4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, half-and-half, or whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt to offset sweetness
- Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter. Next, add in canola oil and sugar. Mix until combined. The mixture will seem gritty, but that's okay. Allow the butter mix to reach room temperature (set it aside for 5-10 minutes), or power chill it in the fridge for a couple of minutes.
- Once it has cooled down, add the egg, sour cream, milk, and extracts in the butter mix. Once combined, add in flour mixture. When that combines, add in the sprinkles and mix until just combined, otherwise the sprinkles will bleed too much.
- Pour into muffin tins, filling each cup a little over 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Next, add in powdered sugar a cup at a time. I usually start with 3 cups, then add in the cream and vanilla. Once combined, I check to see if the consistency is correct. If it’s too runny, add in the rest of the powdered sugar 1/4 c at a time. If too thick, add in a bit more cream.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with sprinkles!
Adapted from Taste of Home.