These mini mixed berry scones are full of blueberries and raspberries and drizzled with a sweet lemon glaze. Sweet, summery, and small enough that it’s perfectly acceptable to eat more (how many more is up to you ?).
When my brother, sister, and I were younger, we really enjoyed all holidays. And not just in the sense of ‘it’s a special day and we get to do something different than the norm,’ but in the sense of dressing up, putting together skits, recording every holiday decoration known to man on the camcorder, and even singing holiday-related songs.
And this wasn’t just for Christmas…
Oh no, this happened for many a holiday, including the 4th of July.
And the whole thing was caught on tape.
From the Pledge of Allegiance to America the Beautiful giving a big shout out to George Washington, every moment was caught forever–whether that is fortunate or unfortunate is still yet to be determined.
We clearly didn’t lack much in the imagination department.
You can rest assured our recent 4th of July celebrations are not quite as
embarrassing elaborate as they were when I was 5 (my parents were great sports about participating in these holiday affairs all the while keeping straight faces–mostly–throughout the whole thing), we do still enjoy putting together a red, white, & blue themed meal, beginning with these cute and dainty mixed berry scones.
There’s something about the flaky, buttery texture mixed with the sweetness of either a glaze or side of sweet cream that I can’t resist (let’s be honest, I don’t really try all that hard to resist either).
Yields 18 Mini Scones
These mini mixed berry scones are full of blueberries and raspberries and drizzled with a sweet lemon glaze. A simple and elegant breakfast, brunch, or dessert! And, ready for any 4th of July party!
25 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed and cold
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, white sugar, baking powder, and salt. Once combined, cut in the butter with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Whisk together heavy cream, sour cream, egg, and vanilla extract. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the blueberries and raspberries, and mix until just combined (the berries may break apart while being mixed).
- On a well-floured surface, turn out the scone dough and pat into a small square that's about a 1/2" thick. Cut the rectangle in 9 even squares, then cut each square diagonally, leaving you with 18 mini scones.
- Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Brush each scone with just a bit of heavy cream.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until just golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice (beginning with 2 Tbsp), and zest. If the glaze is too thick, add in the remaining Tbsp of lemon juice, and mix until it has reached the desired consistency. Pour over warm scones and enjoy!
My favorite products used in this recipe:
Here are some other recipes perfect for the 4th: