This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ReimagineCereal #CollectiveBias
This baked buttermilk donut recipe is based on the classic breakfast choice of cereal and milk! A buttermilk donut dipped in a vanilla glaze and topped with Cracklin’ Oat Bran makes this a sweet breakfast treat!
Today, we’re serving up breakfast donut style.
Ohh, it’s going to be a good day. I’ve learned that in life, when mornings begin with donuts, on principle alone, the day is going to be a good one.
And when they’re based off of your favorite breakfast cereal–the very same breakfast cereal you and your siblings used to fight over back in the day–nothing can bring you down.
So, allow me to introduce (or re-introduce) into your lives the star of these donuts–the cereal of cereals–the one and only, Cracklin’ Oat Bran.
(And the crowd goes wild).
Still to this day, we take the Cracklin’ Oat Bran business seriously. While my siblings and I are no longer brokering back-deal-bribes over who gets the-final-bowl-of-the-box (to give up your computer time for the last bowl or not–ugh, that was the toughest question), we still share a love for this amazing cereal.
Obviously, I still dig this cereal in the traditional milk, bowl, and spoon way, but these donuts might be my new favorite way to obsess over this cereal.
Dessert meets breakfast meets my fave breakfast cereal–it’s a culmination of all of my favorite things, and I like it. I like it a lot.
Don’t the little pieces of Cracklin’ Oat Bran kind of look like they’re floating in a circle of milk?! These donuts are totally whimsical on top of their deep flavor and simple recipe.
These donuts are the perfect way to get creative in the kitchen with your little ones and put together something SO fun for breakfast! Cereal and milk will never go out of style, but, it definitely can be a blast to mix it up every now and again and use cereal in a fun, new way. And you know what? You may even surprise yourself (and your senses!) by unleashing your inner foodie. Say whaaat?!
Seriously, how fun would these donuts be for your kids to decorate with their favorite cereals!
Double-dunked cereal and milk donuts = pure breakfast fun.
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp whole milk 2% is fine as well
- Cracklin' Oat Bran
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 6-count donut pan liberally with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt together.
- In a second bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add in the wet ingredients. Gently mix the batter until combined.
- Add in melted butter and mix until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan, evenly distributing the batter between the 6 donut cavities.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the donuts are lightly golden and 'spring' back when touched.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk powdered sugar with vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp of milk until smooth (if the glaze seems too thick, add in the last Tbsp of milk).
- When the donuts are cool to the touch, dunk the top of each donut into the glaze. Place the donuts on a wire cooling rack so the glaze excess glaze can drip off the donuts. If you desire, once the first layer of glazed has hardened, dunk the top of each donut a second time for a thicker glaze.
- While the glaze is still wet, top the donuts with pieces of cereal.
- (Store leftovers in the fridge).
Every kid in the world is going to go crazy over these!
What a fun idea for donuts! I love how you used the cereal on top!
Shasta L Walton says
This is such a fun idea, and my kids would freak if I let them decorate breakfast donuts with their favorite Kellogg’s cereals! [client]
Denise | Sweet Peas & Saffron says
These are TOO CUTE!! I love the cereal and milk concept 🙂
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
Loving the cereal/milk combination 🙂
Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet says
Wow! My kiddos will go crazy for these donuts!
eat good 4 life says
The perfect combo if you ask me!!
So, I’ve never tried the cracklin’ oat bran but I’m going to have a to keep a look out for it! These donuts are too cute, plus cereal and milk in donut form?! I love these!
Michelle @ The Complete Savorist says
I love the idea of milk and cereal donuts! They are very cute and would be winners at my house.
carrie @ frugal foodie mama says
This is such a fun idea for donuts! 🙂 And it has been years since I have had Cracklin Oat Bran! I used to LOVE that stuff.
Lauren @ Hall Nesting says
What a fun and creative idea!