These easy lemon donuts are baked in the oven and topped with a lemon glaze and toasted coconut for a sweet breakfast treat!
Who needs a donut this weekend?!
That’s really more of a statement rather than a question, because, quite frankly, we could all use a donut this weekend (and every weekend), you know, as a reward for completing the week like a boss.
(Let’s be honest–sometimes it’s more like surviving the week at all.)
I’m pretty sure donuts were invented for Saturday mornings.
You know, the Saturday mornings that were filled with good intentions but are instead spent watching about a thousand cooking shows and nuking cups of coffee 13 times (all the while daintily stuffing your face with buttermilk lemon coconut donuts. #obviously).
It’s the summer breakfast of your lazy Saturday dreams.
Lemon and coconut are the dream team. I’ll take either flavor with just about anything (although the whole lemon chocolate thing is a train I just can’t hop aboard), and I have, many a time:
Strawberry Lemon Cream Scones.
Lemon Raspberry Blueberry Naked Cake.
Toasted Coconut Blackberry Ice Cream.
Clearly, both flavors rank high up there on my list, and just possibly, rank as number one when paired together.
I struggle trying to make important decisions like these.
If you’ve never attempted homemade donuts before, do-nut worry (I had to), it’s a super simple process, especially when the donuts are baked in a donut pan.
I’ve never actually tried my hand at frying donuts (or any food, really), because the whole hot oil thing not only intimidates me, I also loathe the idea of having to clean it up.
(I also may or may not have scalded my hand and leg during a freak hash brown incident…so…I’m a big fan of baked things. 😉)
But, baked donuts are a snap to make.
I typically use this 6-donut pan when I want to make regular sized donuts.
However, when I first started making homemade baked donuts, I made them mini style with this adorable mini donut maker. Like, pretty much the cutest kitchen tool on the planet.
Those donuts baked FAST in the machine and their small size made 4 of them practically the equivalent of one regular sized donut (totally accurate ? ).
You could also use a mini muffin pan to make adorable, bite-sized donut holes.
Do whatever feels right.
Saturday morning is begging for these. Trust me.
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest about the zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Toasted Coconut
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease a 6-count donut pan liberally with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt together. Stir in lemon zest.
- In a second bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla extract together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add in the wet ingredients. Gently mix the batter until combined.
- Add in melted butter and mix until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan, evenly distributing the batter between the 6 donut cavities.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the donuts are lightly golden and 'spring' back when touched.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk powdered sugar with vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice until smooth (if the glaze seems too thick, add in the last Tbsp of lemon juice).
- When the donuts are cool to the touch, dunk the top of each donut into the glaze. Place the donuts on a wire cooling rack so the glaze excess glaze can drip off the donuts. If you desire, once the first layer of glazed has hardened, dunk the top of each donut a second time for a thicker glaze.
- While the glaze is still wet, top the donuts with toasted coconut.
- (Store leftovers in the fridge).
My favorite products used in this recipe:
Here are some of my other favorite donut recipes:
eat good 4 life says
Love donuts and these look totally the bomb!! I wish I could eat a couple of these right now!
Justine | Cooking and Beer says
These are seriously perfect! Love the coconut/lemon flavor combo!
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
Gorgeous! I want these for dinner…and for breakfast the next morning…and…. 🙂
These sound wonderful and perfect for weekends. My family would love them!
Valerie | From Valerie's Kitchen says
My husband would be a happy man if I made donuts every single day! I love the flavor combo in these. Yum!
Jen @ The Weary Chef says
I need donuts EVERYDAY especiall as delicious as these! 😀
Cathy | Lemon Tree Dwelling says
Hello, toasted coconut….I love you! These look so delicious!