These homemade baked strawberry lemon donuts are sweet, tangy, and the perfect spring breakfast.
This easy baked donut recipe is filled with fresh strawberries and topped with a lemon glaze. Plus, a step-by-step video! Yay.
You know, one of the more embarrassing things that can happen in life (or, at the store, in this case) is when your credit card refuses to work.
And it’s not because it’s being denied (although you just know that’s what the super-annoyed-in-a-rush-and-letting-everyone-know-it lady behind you is thinking…I heard the sigh, and I’m pretty sure the whole store could feel the eye roll).
Nope. It’s just because the card reader is on the fritz.
Of course, the card works like a charm at another card reader in the store, but that doesn’t alleviate the slight embarrassment moments earlier (nor the desire to shout “vindicated!” to everyone in line behind me, but I managed to keep my calm, confident exterior 😉).
Needless to say, in those situations, I desperately want some comfort food, like these Baked Strawberry Lemon Donuts, in excess.
Now, I l-ooooo-ve baked donuts. Given how many baked donuts recipes I have here for you to peruse (my current favs being these Strawberry Shortcake Donuts and Coconut Lemon Donuts…and these Chocolate Espresso Donuts 😍), this is probably no surprise.
Obviously, these are made in a donut pan, but, if you do not have a donut pan, you can make these in a muffin tin or mini muffin tin.
Some Quick Baked Donuts baking tips:
- If using a donut pan: about 8 donuts and bake time about 10-12 minutes.
- If using a muffin tin: about 12 donut muffins and bake time about 12-14 minutes.
- If using a mini muffin tin: about 24 mini donut muffins (or, as I like to call them, donut holes) and bake time about 8-9 minutes.
All right, let’s discuss these pretty little Strawberry Lemon Donuts.
They’re sweet, tangy, and perfect for this time of year. Spring has been pretty non-existent here, and today, given the 95+ degree temps, it certainly felt as if Cali decided just to forego spring altogether and head for summer.
I know it’s been snowy and rainy in other areas, and it just kind of feels like spring is hibernating from the U.S. this year.
Regardless of whether you’re blasting the A/C or up to your knees in snow, these Baked Strawberry Lemon Donuts will have you feeling like it’s sunny and 75 (not 95, California).
Baked Strawberry Lemon Donuts Tips & Tricks:
– Homemade baked donut batter is really thick, so don’t be surprised when mixing the batter.
– There are two ways to add the strawberries to these donuts: you can either mix the strawberries directly into the batter and then distribute the batter between the donut pan cavities, or you can divide the batter into the donut cavities and place the strawberries evenly in each donut (as seen in the video).
– Expanding a little more on the above statement, the reason why I chose to add the strawberry pieces after placing the batter in the pan was because I wanted an even amount of strawberries in each donut. Plus, I really wanted the strawberries evenly dispersed within the donuts so there would be a strawberry in each bite.
– The lemon glaze is made with just powdered sugar, a little lemon zest, and fresh lemon juice.
Breakfast has got me like 😍
Yields About 8 Donuts
These homemade baked strawberry lemon donuts are sweet, tangy, and the perfect spring breakfast. This easy baked donut recipe is filled with fresh strawberries and topped with a lemon glaze. Plus, a step-by-step video! Yay.
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (you can substitute regular milk, but buttermilk yields a richer texture)
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted (or 1 Tbsp vegetable oil)
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 6-count donut pan well with baking spray (the recipe
- will make about 8 donuts). Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Add in butter (or oil) and mix until combined.
- At this point, you can mix in the strawberries and divide the batter between the donut cavities, or you can divide the donut batter between the cavities and press the strawberry pieces by hand into the batter (as seen in the video—basically, placing the strawberries in by hand evenly disperses them in the donuts).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops of the donuts spring back when touched.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing them from the donut pan, then allow them to finish cooling on a wire cooling rack.
- Whisk powdered sugar, lemon zest and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice together. If the glaze is too thick, add in the remaining Tbsp of lemon juice.
- Dunk each donut in the glaze, and allow to harden. If desired, sprinkle on extra chopped strawberries before the glaze fully hardens.
Here are some other recipes you might like: