This strawberry lemon coffee cake recipe is light, fluffy, and packed with sweet strawberry and tangy lemon flavor! This easy coffee cake recipe makes for the best breakfast or brunch recipe! And, thanks to the flavors, it’s the picture of spring.
This Strawberry Lemon Coffee Cake recipe is one of my all-time favorites! It has a sweet brown sugar topping and a lemon glaze drizzle that’s to die for!
I possess a handful of skills I’m mighty proud of. You know, like my ability to make a Gilmore reference out of anything, or my ability to always find (and want) the one product in Target’s dollar section that actually isn’t a dollar (those $3 dollar baskets get me every time).
Or, my most famous one as of late, my ability to injure myself by doing absolutely nothing. Last summer, I managed to injure my eye, looking something like Bob Costas at the 2014 Winter Olympics. A few weeks ago, I injured my foot–doing absolutely nothing.
It’s a really fun skill.
(–>note the sarcasm<–)
Apart from those three winning skills, I can also take down quite a bit of this coffee cake in one sitting. My sweet tooth knows no embarrassment.
It’s light. It’s fluffy. And it’s oh-so-spring-like.
Oh, and it’s strawberry and lemon. I’m pretty sure it is impossible to go wrong with that flavor combo.
Do you remember a few years ago when Starbucks’ blended strawberry lemonades were all the rage?
(Just imagine if instagram existed then! Instead of pictures of everyone and their independent-coffee-shop-cold-brew, it’d be a bunch of tweens with braces and strawberry lemonades in Hollister sweatshirts…)
Back when I was in junior high, when we’d have half days, it was the thing to walk to the shopping center nearby, which had a Starbucks, and get a blended strawberry lemonade.
Of course, we felt like we were 25 years old, shooting the breeze together, when, in reality, we looked like the 13-year olds we were (and the shrieking and talking about our latest boy crushes–loudly–made us sound like the 13-year olds we were).
No one was fooled.
The tangy lemon and sweet strawberry flavor of this coffee cake reminds me of that drink, those days, and why spending time with great friends–then and now–is necessary.
All this Strawberry Lemon Coffee Cake needs is a good cup of coffee and a great friend or two to enjoy it with!
Now, let’s talk about the finer points of this homemade coffee cake recipe! While the ingredient list might look a little long, it really is a foolproof coffee cake recipe that comes together quickly! Huzzah!
Strawberry Lemon Coffee Cake Tips & Tricks:
- The brown sugar topping on this recipe is slightly different than a traditional crumb cake topping. It almost becomes more of a brown sugar crust, which really intensifies the flavor of the brown sugar!
- This easy coffee cake recipe uses simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your pantry!
- I do add cinnamon to this strawberry coffee cake, which adds a nice extra zing to the recipe. Of course, if you would prefer, you can omit it from the recipe.
Yields 8-10 Servings
This strawberry lemon coffee cake recipe is light, fluffy, and packed with sweet strawberry and tangy lemon flavor! This easy coffee cake recipe makes for the best breakfast or brunch recipe! And, thanks to the flavors, it's the picture of spring.
30 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (about the zest of 1 large lemon)
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9" circular cake pan or an 8x8 square baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, lightly mix together oil, egg, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and milk.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, and pour wet ingredients into it. Stir gently, as to not over stir the mix. Add in sour cream, and stir until just combined.
- Fold in strawberries, and pour into your pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the topping ingredients until combined. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter in the pan. Use a rubber spatula to swirl the topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until your cake tester comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing by stirring together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over the top of the coffee cake.
- Serve warm, or cool.
My favorite products used in this recipe:
If you like this recipe, I think you’ll like these too!