This Chocolate Banana Bread recipe is rich, delicious, and absolutely perfect with the homemade coffee glaze.
This homemade banana bread recipe has a chocolatey twist that makes it entirely irresistible! Chocolate Banana Bread makes the perfect addition to breakfast or brunch!
I probably talk about the weather far too much (and you probably don’t care at all), but the whiplash this weather is giving me is making me c-r-a-z-y.
The past couple of weeks have pretty much been straight out of a California commercial (sunny, warm, blue skies…you know, probably the reason why Cali is so impacted 😜).
I had pretty much accepted the fact spring had come early, and despite being bummed sweater weather was over (or really hadn’t come at all), I was definitely enjoying all things berries, lemon, and iced coffee (especially these Strawberry Crumb Cake Muffins and these Strawberry Lemon Coffee Cake—drooling emoji, get at me).
But this week, the weather is COLD (like, so cold I don’t even own a jacket thick enough because it hasn’t been this cold in 10 years) and all I want is hot coffee and comfort food, like this Chocolate Banana Bread.
Homemade banana bread is my idea of comfort food. I’m kind of obsessed with the base of this banana bread recipe (it’s the one my mom made when I was a kid so to me, it’s hands down the BEST banana bread recipe ever), and not only does it taste like hopes and dreams, it reminds me of childhood.
You don’t even want to know how quickly my sibs and I could take down a loaf of this stuff (or the backdoor deals we’d broker with each other over who got the last slice). Let’s not even talk about how fast I can single-handedly take down a banana bread loaf in the present (ugh, and then you add chocolate to it??? Done for).
It’s embarrassing and impressive all at once.
This Chocolate Banana Bread is a twist on the classic banana bread recipe, but it is just as tasty and totally indulgent.
If you wanted even more chocolate flavor, you should add in chocolate chips! I love a good Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, and if I had been thinking a little clearer, chocolate chips definitely would have made an appearance in this Chocolate Banana Bread (because too much chocolate is never a bad thing…it’s a true fact).
The coffee glaze brings out the chocolate flavor in the banana bread, but it is optional if you just want plain chocolate banana bread (let me tell you, it’s amazing either way—I just can’t leave well enough alone and have to glaze EVERYTHING).
Chocolate Banana Bread Tips & Tricks:
1. You can mash the bananas either by hand or with a food processor. I like to mash the bananas by hand because I like the texture better, but if you like a smooth banana bread consistency, I would suggest pureeing the bananas.
2. So, for the most part, this entire recipe is made in one bowl. Because I like to mash the bananas by hand, I technically use two bowls, but for the most part, the rest of the recipe is all made in just one bowl (less dishes = the best thing ever).
3. When it comes to baking banana bread, often times the outside of the bread can brown quicker than the inside. Tenting a piece of foil over the top of the bread during the last 10 or 15 minutes of baking can help keep the bread from browning too much while the inside finishes baking.
4. Lastly, when it comes to the coffee glaze, you want to pour it on after the bread has cooled, otherwise the glaze will thin out too much and it won’t stick to the bread.
Chocolate on chocolate. 😍
Yields 2 Loaves
This Chocolate Banana Bread recipe is rich, delicious, and absolutely perfect with the homemade coffee glaze. This homemade banana bread recipe has a chocolatey twist that makes it entirely irresistible! Chocolate Banana Bread makes the perfect addition to breakfast or brunch!
20 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
5 based on 2 review(s)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 medium bananas (or 3 large bananas)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp strong coffee, brewed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease two 8x4 pans.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas (or, puree the bananas in a food processor). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda, then mix until combined.
- Add in mashed bananas, mixing until incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs stuck to it. (If the outside of the bread is cooking faster than the inside of the bread, tent a piece of foil over the bread while it finishes cooking).
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Move to a wire cooling rack.
- Mix together powdered sugar, vanilla extract, espresso powder (if using), and 1 1/2 Tbsp brewed coffee. If the glaze is thicker than your desired preference, add in the last 1/2 Tbsp of brewed coffee.
- Pour the glaze evenly over both loaves. Allow the glaze to harden completely before cutting into slices.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container (they can stay at room temperature for a couple of days, or they can be stored in the fridge for about a week).
Here are some other recipes you might love: