These homemade Strawberry Crumb Cake Muffins are made with fresh strawberries and topped with a crumb cake streusel and vanilla glaze!
These easy strawberry muffins make a great breakfast, easy brunch recipe, or on-the-go snack! Plus, this Strawberry Crumb Cake Muffin recipe is ridiculously simple! Easy peasy.
We are a few days past Valentine’s Day, and can I just say, I majorly miss elementary school and alllll the Valentine’s Day festivities that happened in class?!
It wasn’t so much Valentine’s Day itself as much as it was the fact that day provided an excuse to have a big ‘ol class party full of hearts, candy swaps, desserts galore, and some old movie (because it was the only one pre-approved by the school).
Plus, who doesn’t love a day where you get to take a big bag of candy home?? (With the occasional granola bar since there was always that parent 😂).
Valentine’s Day as an adult is not nearly as exciting, buuuut these streusel topped Strawberry Muffins can make ANY day (including a Hallmark holiday 😉) better.
While my Valentine’s Day wasn’t all that exciting, I hope yours was! I hope it was filled with all the love, cheesy puns and festive foods you could possibly imagine.
Specifically, festive desserts.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies (how festive?!), Chocolate Chip Funfetti Cookie Cake (umm, these were amazing!), and my new favorite bar of all time, Strawberry Blondies.
Oh, and these sweet ‘lil Strawberry Crumb Cake Muffins. Think, strawberry muffin meets strawberry coffee cake with a vanilla glaze for extra measure (because, why not??).
So, I’ve always been a muffin top person. There’s something about the texture mixed with the muffin flavor that’s unbeatable.
Then, you add a crumb cake topping—my favorite part of coffee cake—and I’m pretty much a goner.
So, basically, these muffins were top-notch. Add in the fact they’re so simple to make and filled with fresh strawberries, these would make a fan-tab-ulous spring and summer (or Valentine’s Day) breakfast recipe.
Strawberry Crumb Cake Muffins Ingredients:
- all purpose flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda
- brown sugar and granulated sugar
- buttermilk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract
- sour cream
- fresh strawberries
- brown sugar + flour + butter = crumb topping for strawberry muffins
- powdered sugar + vanilla + milk = vanilla glaze
Strawberry Crumb Muffins (aka strawberry streusel muffins) tips & tricks:
- Apart from the crumb cake topping, the whole strawberry muffin batter is made in one bowl. So, if you wanted to omit the crumb cake topping, the entire recipe would be made in one bowl. Anytime there are less dishes involved, I’m a fan.
- When you add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, you need to make a “well” in the center. Basically, that means make a hole in the center of the ingredients.
- Okay so why do you need to make a well in dry ingredients? This is important because it helps to keep you from over mixing the batter. The wet ingredients are more evenly dispersed into the dry ingredients this way. Over mixing = dry, dense muffins (aka, hard rocks no one wants to eat).
- When it comes to the crumb cake topping, you do really want to pack it in when spreading it on top of each muffin, making sure to press the crumbs into the batter a little bit (this way they’ll stick to the muffin tops as they bake).
I’ll take a dozen. ❤
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk, vegetable oil, and two eggs. Mix until batter is just combined (it will be thick).
- Add in sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
- Add in strawberries, and mix.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full with the strawberry muffin batter (batter will make about 18 muffins or so). Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and brown sugar together. Pour in melted butter and mix together until crumbs form.
- Generously sprinkle crumbs into each muffin tin, pressing the crumbs down lightly into the batter.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until muffins are just golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk together. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins (it’s best to allow the muffins to cool about 5-10 minutes before adding the glaze).
Here are some other recipes you might like:
Blueberry Orange Crumb Muffins
Can I use thawed frozen strawberries?
Hi Linda, I have only made these with fresh, but I *think* thawed berries would work great too! 🙂
Ashley Webb says
May i use regular milk in these instead?
Yes any kind of milk will do
These are SO good! Are used plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. And take note to really be generous with the streusel topping! I will be making these again… Thank you!
I am so glad you enjoyed this, Lisa! ❤️
My family loved these! Very tasty!!
These are great!
The crumb topping didn’t come together like I am used to. It is not crumbs, but a gloopy mess. Is the butter supposed to be melted? Not sure if I should continue to make. Suggestions?
Hi Toni, yes, the butter is supposed to be melted. 🙂 This is slightly different than a streusel topping where the butter, flour, brown sugar, etc. is dry. Even if you feel like crumbs aren’t forming (but everything is mixed together), you can use your fingers to break it up into smaller pieces and sprinkle it on top. It will still come out as brown sugar crumbs on top once it’s baked.
Omg!!! What delicious muffins! Just got them out of the oven and couldn’t wait to take a bite. Yum!!