These easy homemade Blueberry Orange Crumb Muffins have a sweet streusel topping, and are the best reason to get up in the morning! These blueberry muffins are light and fluffy, and have the sweetest orange flavor! These Blueberry Orange Crumb Muffins would be the perfect Mother’s Day breakfast or brunch addition!
Last night, I had this epic dream about brownies (The Ultimate S’mores Brownies, to be exact). I may or may not have also dreamt I was on the Hawaii 5-0 task force (thank you, Netflix), but that’s really neither here nor there.
Anyway (the word I’m sure you’re all looking for), I woke up in desperate need of some rich, fudgy brownies. Awesome. It’s 8 in the morning, and I’m straight craving chocolate.
It’s not often that I show restraint in the baked goods department, but brownies for breakfast seemed slightly out of control. (I mean, you can totally get away with Strawberry Nutella Turnovers and Baked Chocolate Espresso Donuts for breakfast, but brownies? Too far probably…) I put the craving aside, put the blueberries to good use, and made this totally unnecessary (but really necessary) crumb topping full of almonds, oats, and brown sugar.
That crumb topping though? I would eat that with a spoon. Do you think it’d be possible to make a whole muffin out of streusel? (Note to self: GET on that).
So these muffins.
What’s underneath the crumb topping is just as amazing. Now, I’m no muffin snob. I like those packaged mini muffins (I know), Costco muffins (those poppyseed though), and love the boxed kind. Betty Crocker is where it’s at.
But. When I’m feeling domestic in the morning, muffins make it on the breakfast list. You can always find me feeling domestic about dessert, but a bowl of cold cereal in the morning is my usual A.M. wake up call.
These muffins, though, blow my Life cereal and milk out of the water. Full of sweet blueberries, sweet orange, and sweet, sweet brown sugar, these muffins rocked my breakfast world.
Oh happy day.
These easy homemade Blueberry Orange Crumb Muffins have a sweet streusel topping, and are the best reason to get up in the morning! These blueberry muffins are light and fluffy, and have the sweetest orange flavor!
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt (sour cream works well too)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners or cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together almonds, oats, flour, orange zest, and brown sugar. Cut in the butter and mix until the topping is crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and orange zest. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Whisk together oil, egg, milk, orange juice, and Greek yogurt. Add to the well of the dry ingredients and stir the mixture together just until the batter is combined.
- Toss the blueberries with 1 Tbsp of flour (this will prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom). Add to the muffin batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups (about 3/4 or a little more in each cup). Sprinkle evenly with crumb coating.
- Bake at 425 for 5 minutes (this gives them a nice dome shape), then lower the temperature to 350 and bake for an addition 14-15 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
Here are some other breakfast recipes you might love: