These homemade Orange Cream Scones are one of my favorite summer dessert recipes! These tender cream scones are packed with orange flavor and topped with a sweet homemade orange glaze, making them a perfect breakfast, brunch, or dessert!
These easy fresh orange scones come together quickly! If you don’t know how to make scones, this super simple orange cream scone recipe is a perfect place to start!
My obsession with all things orange (have you seen these Blueberry Orange Sweet Rolls and these Blueberry Orange Crumb Muffins? They’re wonderful and a great product of my obsession) is out of control.
When I played AYSO soccer, it was a given that half-time snacks included orange slices (and if they were forgotten, it was a dark day…).
After a particularly brutal first half (I got body checked once when I was 10–never underestimate the competitive nature of adolescent girls playing the beautiful game), sweet oranges and cold water were a welcomed thing of glory.
Public Service Announcement:
Did you also know that when you play soccer for your high school team that oranges are not included in the half-time deal?
What’s with that?!?!
Don’t get me wrong, I love the game for the sport, and I loved playing it, but, oranges were (and are) always a nice incentive.
Umm, this is probably why I am not a professional soccer player and instead have a food blog where I can proclaim my love for anything and everything orange.
Can you see how flaky and tender these are?! In the words of my brother, sweet mercy.
Sweet, sweet mercy.
These Orange Scones are ridiculously flaky, tender, and filled with so much fresh orange flavor it’s insane. I proclaim my love for homemade scones a lot, but these orange cream scones?? Guys, these just might be the best scone recipe of ALL TIME.
Don’t tell the lemon, but I think orange *might* be the best citrus flavor ever (if you don’t believe me, you have GOT to try these Orange Coconut Macaroons).
How To Make Scones:
- Making homemade cream scones takes only a few ingredients and just a little bit of prep time.
- You can use a bowl and pastry cutter to mix the easy scone dough together, but I like to use my standing mixer (I saw Ina Garten do it once, and if it’s good enough for Ina Garten’s scone recipes, it’s good enough for me 😜).
- To me, if you want the best scone recipe ever, be sure you do not over mix the dough. Once the dough just comes together, turn it out onto a floured surface.
- Once it’s on the floured surface, all you need to do is just pat it into a circle (don’t knead the dough…it’ll make it tough!).
Easy Orange Cream Scones Tips & Tricks:
- Use fresh orange juice and zest. There’s nothing like the real deal.
- A lot of orange scone recipes use buttermilk, but this recipe uses a combination of heavy cream and sour cream, which gives it a perfectly tender texture. These is a seriously moist scone recipe!
- This homemade orange glaze has a bit of melted butter in the recipe, which gives the glaze an extra layer of depth. It’s a bit more like a donut glaze recipe than a traditional powdered sugar + liquid glaze (and it’s worth every single extra ingredient).
These gorgeous Orange Cream Scones with a Homemade Orange Glaze make the best (and easiest) scone recipe! If you’re an orange lover like me, you are going to flip over these!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp orange zest, about the zest of 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup cubed butter, cold
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1-1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional--it makes the glaze extra orange-flavored!)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or spray with cooking oil).
Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter and mix the dough until the butter is about the size of peas and the dough resembles coarse crumbs.
In a small bowl, egg, sour cream, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. Mix with dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and pat into a 1" thick circle. Cut into 8 triangles.
Brush the tops of each scone with a little bit of heavy cream, and bake for 15-16 minutes, or until scones are golden brown.
While the scones are cooling, mix together melted butter, powdered sugar (starting with 1 cup), vanilla extract, orange juice, and orange zest. If the glaze seems too thin, add in the last 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.
Pour the glaze over the scones and enjoy!
My favorite products used in this recipe:
Here are some of my other favorite scone recipes: