This baked strawberry shortcake donuts recipe is sweet, simple, and a fun twist on the classic strawberry shortcake recipe!
These baked cake donuts are rolled in cinnamon sugar, cut in half, and filled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Homemade baked donuts make a great Easter brunch, breakfast, or dessert recipe!
Back in the early days of this blog, I shared a recipe for baked strawberry shortcake donuts.
It was part of my “14 Days of Love” series—a series of 14 recipes I, at the time, thought would be perfect for Valentine’s Day.
Don’t ask me why some of the recipes I included in that series had absolutely nothing to do with chocolate, berries, and dessert decadence. 🙄 NOTHING.
Like, I should’ve been sharing recipes for Mocha Flourless Chocolate Cake or Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes, but instead, I included a grilled cheese recipe (WHY) and some other random things. At least some Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies were included!
When I shared this recipe originally, I was still figuring out this whole blog thing, and I, for some reason, chose to photograph the donuts almost entirely without the strawberries or whipped cream.
It just looked like I was sharing a recipe for cinnamon sugar donuts (which, to be honest, you could totally do here, because, umm, cinnamon sugar rolled anything is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G).
Not going to lie, it was confusing at best.
The struggle was so real.
Despite the fact the post and pictures were a little ambiguous, to say the least, I L-O-V-E the recipe itself.
It’s actually one of my favorites, and I feel like it needed a facelift (WHAT’S A FACELIFT — name that movie! But really, if you know it, we’re destined to be BFFs for life).
So, I decided it was time to re-share the recipe (I’m keeping the original post up, as it was part of the Valentine’s series, but this is the new and improved version!).
The baked donuts are rich and cake-like—a total cross between a cake donut and a biscuit shortcake. Then, when you add the cinnamon sugar and the berries and cream, it’s a dessert of dreams.
I’d also like to add that should you choose to eat this for breakfast, I 100% support your decision. I mean, what’s more breakfast-y than whipped cream, strawberries, and donuts??
That’s a rhetorical question. 😉
Baked Strawberry Shortcake Donuts Tips & Tricks:
– Baked donuts cook quickly! They are usually done within a few minutes, so you definitely want to keep an eye on them. As soon as the tops have risen and they ‘spring back’ when tapped, they’re ready to go!
– To get the cinnamon sugar to stick to the donuts, they need to be dipped in melted butter, then immediately rolled in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
– You can use canned whipped cream or homemade whipped cream. Of course, while I am partial to homemade whipped cream, I certainly wouldn’t turn down the canned stuff. Feel free to use whichever!
– When making the donuts into the “shortcakes,” assemble them right before serving. Cut the Strawberry Shortcake Donuts in half, top with whipped cream and strawberries, and enjoy!
Homina, homina, homina.
Yields 8 Donuts
This baked strawberry shortcake donuts recipe is sweet, simple, and a fun twist on the classic strawberry shortcake recipe! These baked cake donuts are rolled in cinnamon sugar, cut in half, and filled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Homemade baked donuts make a great Easter brunch, breakfast, or dessert recipe!
30 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
42 minTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (you can substitute regular milk, but buttermilk yields a richer texture)
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 4-5 Strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a donut pan well with baking spray.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt together.
- Add in the egg, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and butter. Mix until just combined.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into each donut cavity, filling about 3/4 of the way full (you will have enough batter for about 8 donuts).
- Bake for Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the donuts are lightly golden and 'spring' back when touched.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then remove the donuts from the pan and allow them to continue cooling on a wire rack (about 10 minutes).
- While cooling, melt the butter in a shallow dish (one large enough the whole donut can fit in it).
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together in a separate bowl.
- Dunk both sides of the donut in the melted butter. Immediately roll the donuts in the cinnamon sugar mix, making sure it is well-coated.
- Allow to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- With a mixer on medium speed, beat the heavy cream until it begins to thicken. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla, and continue to beat until it reaches a whipped-cream consistency.
- Assemble the Strawberry Shortcake Donuts right before serving. Cut the donuts in half and spoon on whipped cream and strawberries.
Here are some other recipes you might enjoy: