These lemon blueberry crumb cake muffins are light, fluffy, and make the sweetest quick and easy breakfast recipe!
These easy lemon blueberry muffins have a sweet crumb cake topping and a tangy lemon glaze on top, making these homemade muffins totally irresistible!
How has your new year been going?!
Considering last year I spent all of January (and a lot of February) sick as a dog and saying over and over again, “I’ll never take breathing for granted!”, this year has been going pretty well.
The start of this year has actually been fairly relaxing, which has been incredibly helpful in getting past those post holiday blues (I’m still not sure how Christmas has already come and gone…I might be in denial, slightly).
While I am sad all things holiday are gone, I do love this time of year and the months leading up to the spring. In Cali, the spring weather starts pretty early and all that sunshine makes me crave all things lemon and fruit.
If you’re ready for all things bright and cheerful too, begin with these Lemon Blueberry Crumb Cake Muffins! Seriously, they’re so moist and flavorful.
For as much as I love muffins, I don’t make them all that often, and it’s making me question everything.
Like, what am I even doing with my life?!
I mean, these Lemon Blueberry Muffins (with a crumb cake topping!) come together quickly, and I’m not entirely sure why I haven’t made muffins in months.
Pull yourself together, Michelle.
And guys, expect a few more muffin recipes to make an appearance pronto.
So, now that we’ve established I need to reassess my priorities, let’s talk about the real reason why you’re here: these muffins!
All of the ingredients here are mostly pantry staples:
- oil, eggs, sour cream, butter
- flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt
- brown sugar, granulated sugar, powdered sugar
- buttermilk, vanilla extract, lemon juice and zest
These muffins have lemon in the batter, as well as in a glaze on top of the muffins. However, you can omit the glaze on top if you want to.
And technically, you can also omit the crumb cake topping. But, if you’re like me and can’t get enough crumb cake topping, this Coffee Cake Banana Bread should be next on your list! And then these Blueberry Cream Cheese Scones, because blueberry. 😉
Lemon Blueberry Crumb Cake Muffins Tips & Tricks:
- Let’s talk lemon. This recipe calls for 1 Tbsp of lemon zest, and it truly needs all of that zest to really cut through the sweetness. When I first made this recipe, I didn’t use enough lemon, and these lemon blueberry muffins were more like blueberry muffins with a “hint” of lemon. Good, sure, but not exactly what I was going for.
- Buttermilk. This is a key ingredient in these muffins, because it gives these lemon blueberry muffins an incredibly moist, rich texture.
- A handy buttermilk tip — Don’t have buttermilk? You can make it with lemon juice! Mix 1 Tbsp of lemon juice with 1 cup of buttermilk, allow it to sit for a few minutes, and viola! (Of course, you can half that measurement for this recipe.) That’s how you make buttermilk with lemon juice!
Tips & Tricks for these easy Blueberry Lemon Muffins cont:
- Before adding the blueberries, make sure you take the time to dust them in flour (this step is in the recipe below). I was notorious for skipping this step, because, why? Why would I dirty up another bowl when I can just throw them in the batter?? Well, the reason is, if you don’t toss the blueberries in flour, they will sink to the bottom of the batter while baking. Instead of having blueberries throughout the muffins, you’ll have blueberries stuck to the bottom.
- My favorite part of these lemon blueberry muffins is the crumb topping! It’s sweet, buttery, and makes these muffins incredibly decadent.
- The lemon drizzle is completely optional but totally worth it! It adds an extra layer of lemon flavor to the muffins that sends the flavor over the top.
Gimme, gimme 😍
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries + 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk, vegetable oil, and two eggs. Mix until batter is just combined (it will be thick).
- Add in lemon zest, lemon juice, sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
- Toss blueberries in 1 Tbsp of flour (this prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the batter) and add to the batter. Mix.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full with the lemon blueberry muffin batter (batter will make about 18 muffins or so). Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix lemon zest, flour, and brown sugar together. Pour in melted butter and mix together until crumbs form.
- Generously sprinkle crumbs into each muffin tin, pressing the crumbs down lightly into the batter.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until muffins are just golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins (it’s best to allow the muffins to cool about 5-10 minutes before adding the glaze).
Here are some other recipes you might love: