These lemon blueberry crumb cake muffins are light, fluffy, and make the sweetest quick and easy breakfast recipe!
These easy lemon blueberry muffins have a sweet crumb cake topping and a tangy lemon glaze on top, making these homemade muffins totally irresistible!
How was your Easter weekend??
Mine included far too much dessert (which, I only have myself to blame since I was the one in charge of dessert 🙄), hiding and re-hiding Easter eggs (because how can you say no when your niece says, “I think we should hide these again and then I could find them!”), starting the day with an early sunrise service, coloring Easter eggs and re-discovering that I am not an artist (and that the color wheel is lost on me), and spending sweet time with family.
It was a wonderful weekend, and as with all long weekends, the start of the new week is all that much more difficult.
I’d love to say that I’ve been able to drown my sorrows in these Lemon Blueberry Crumb Cake Muffins, but… they’ve already been demolished.
For as much as I love muffins, I don’t make them all that often, and it’s making me question everything.
Like, what am I even doing with my life?
I mean, these Lemon Blueberry Muffins (with a crumb cake topping!) come together quickly, and I’m not entirely sure why (excluding these Strawberry Crumb Cake Muffins) I haven’t made muffins in months.
Pull yourself together, Michelle.
So, now that we’ve established I need to reassess my priorities, let’s talk about the real reason why you’re here: these muffins!
I love the flavors of lemon and blueberry, especially during the spring and summer months. Lemon pairs perfectly with most fruits, and while I am partial to lemon and strawberry (cue this lemon strawberry coffee cake and these strawberry lemon cream scones), lemon and blueberry is a close second.
The tanginess and tartness of the lemon pairs so well with the sweetness of both the blueberries and the brown sugar crumb cake topping.
Lemon Blueberry Crumb Cake Muffins Tips & Tricks:
– Let’s talk lemon. This recipe calls for 1 Tbsp of lemon zest, and it truly needs all of that zest to really cut through the sweetness. When I first made this recipe, I didn’t use enough lemon, and these lemon blueberry muffins were more like blueberry muffins with a “hint” of lemon. Good, sure, but not exactly what I was going for.
– Buttermilk. This is a key ingredient in these muffins, because it gives these lemon blueberry muffins an incredibly moist, rich texture.
– A handy buttermilk tip — Don’t have buttermilk? You can make it with lemon juice! Mix 1 Tbsp of lemon juice with 1 cup of buttermilk, allow it to sit for a few minutes, and viola! (Of course, you can half that measurement for this recipe.) That’s how you make buttermilk with lemon juice!
Lemon Blueberry Crumb Cake Muffins Tips & Tricks cont:
– Before adding the blueberries, make sure you take the time to dust them in flour (this step is in the recipe below). I was notorious for skipping this step, because, why? Why would I dirty up another bowl when I can just throw them in the batter?? Well, the reason is, if you don’t toss the blueberries in flour, they will sink to the bottom of the batter while baking. Instead of having blueberries throughout the muffins, you’ll have blueberries stuck to the bottom.
– My favorite part of these lemon blueberry muffins is the crumb topping! It’s sweet, buttery, and makes these muffins incredibly decadent.
– The lemon drizzle is completely optional but totally worth it! It adds an extra layer of lemon flavor to the muffins that sends the flavor over the top.
Gimme, gimme 😍
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries + 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin tin with liners.
In a bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk, vegetable oil, and two eggs. Mix until batter is just combined (it will be thick).
Add in lemon zest, lemon juice, sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
Toss blueberries in 1 Tbsp of flour (this prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the batter) and add to the batter. Mix.
Fill muffin cups about 2/3 of the way full with the lemon blueberry muffin batter (batter will make about 18 muffins or so). Set aside.
In a separate bowl, mix lemon zest, flour, and brown sugar together. Pour in melted butter and mix together until crumbs form.
Generously sprinkle crumbs into each muffin tin, pressing the crumbs down lightly into the batter.
Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until muffins are just golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins (it’s best to allow the muffins to cool about 5-10 minutes before adding the glaze).
Here are some other recipes you might love: