These simple baked chocolate donuts are topped with a rich chocolate glaze and crumbled butterfingers! These chocolate donuts are rich, sweet, and perfectly decadent! Technically, since this is a donuts, it can be considered breakfast food, right? 😉 I promise I won’t tell!
Since yesterday was International Day of Happiness, I thought it was only appropriate I share Chocolate Butterfinger Donuts today. I mean, I probably should’ve shared them yesterday–actually on the day itself–but, I clearly wasn’t on my A-game.
It’s just been one of those weeks, ya know? And it’s only Tuesday.
It’s safe to say I am in desperate need of these Baked Chocolate Butterfinger Donuts. I mean, I’m pretty much always in the mood for the good stuff, like these Classic Chocolate Cupcakes, Chocolate Turtle Brownie Bites or Cookies and Cream Cake (I digress…), and this week is definitely no exception.
Bring on all the chocolate donuts.
Baked donuts are my latest obsession. They’re just like those donut shop cake-y donuts, which incidentally are my favorite (next to maple bars), but so easy to make at home. Plus, making donuts at home means you can put whatever your heart desires on top.
How much do you love me right now?
You’re also going to love how easy this recipe is to make. You probably have most of the ingredients already in your pantry, so the only thing you’ll need (if you don’t have one) is a donut pan. If you don’t have one, getting one will change your life. For reals.
It’s pretty much a one-bowl recipe that can be baked up in less than 15 minutes. Dunk it in some rich chocolate glaze, top it with Butterfingers, and dig in.
Also, chocolate for breakfast? Who is really going to fight me on that one… 😉
Hiiii yaaa, chocolate babies.
These simple baked chocolate donuts are topped with a rich chocolate glaze and crumbled butterfingers! These chocolate donuts are rich, sweet, and perfectly decadent! Technically, since this is a donuts, it can be considered breakfast food, right?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 4-6 Tbsp heavy cream
- Crushed Butterfingers, probably 1-2 regular-sized candy bars
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a donut pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt together until well combined. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg and half & half together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the wet ingredients. Mix until combined (batter will be fairly thick).
- Add in sour cream, vanilla extract, and butter; mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into greased donut pan, filling each donut cavity about 3/4 of the way full (this batter can make about 7-8 donuts).
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until the donut 'springs' back when touched. Allow to cool a few minutes before removing from the pan.
- In a bowl, mix cocoa powder and powdered sugar together. Add in heavy cream, whisking until the glaze is at your desired consistency. I used 5 Tbsp, but if you prefer a thinner glaze, use 6 Tbsp. If you prefer a thicker consistency, use 4 Tbsp.
- Top with crushed Butterfingers.
Here are some other donut recipes you might like: