These baked chocolate donuts have brewed espresso in the batter and chopped espresso beans on top of the rich, chocolate glaze. You can have your morning cup of coffee and eat it too!
Today, I bring you a recipe that will get your heart racing! Almost literally. I mean, have you seen those crushed espresso beans on top? I love and hate myself all at the same time.
I’m pretty sure that I drink more caffeine on Mondays than I do any other day of the week. It is Monday, after all, aka, potentially the hardest day in the week. I figured the best way to remedy the situation is to start the day off with a ridiculous amount of chocolate and caffeine. And maybe a pancake or two (I’m a really big breakfast eater).
Chocolate for breakfast? I think we can all agree that Monday just got a teensy, tiny bit better with these Baked Chocolate Espresso Donuts.
Waking up and smelling the coffee has never looked or tasted better. 😉
Let’s talk about donuts. When I was younger, I straight up love them–probably because we rarely had them. Then, I went to a college that was down the street from an award-winning 24-hour donut shop, and made more midnight trips to that shop my freshman year than I care to admit. So, for a few years there, I had gotten to this point where I was little over the donut.
Well, somewhere between then and now, I rekindled my love of donuts. I say it like I don’t know exactly when and where it happened, even though I do (it was Doughnut Plant in NYC). Regardless, I am back to being a donut’s biggest fan, and I’m pretty much obsessed with these chocolate espresso donuts.
I can pretty much get behind anything for breakfast that qualifies more as a dessert than breakfast, but is technically (and socially) acceptable for breakfast. I know. It’s the New Year and all, and lots are on a mission to rid their diet’s of excess sugar. But, I can’t give up chocolate entirely. It’s just not a thing that I can do. It’s fine. I’ll have a salad for lunch or something. 😉
If you weren’t a fan of breakfast beforehand, has this changed your mind? Chocolate meets coffee meets breakfast and it’s lovely.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp espresso or strong coffee, brewed (and cooled to room temperature)
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp espresso or strong coffee, brewed and cooled to room temperature
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- Crushed chocolate covered espresso beans
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a donut pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder together until well combined. Set aside.
- Whisk together the egg, coffee, and half & half.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add the wet ingredients. Mix until combined (batter will be fairly thick).
- Add in sour cream, vanilla extract, and melted butter. Mix until combined.
- Pour batter into greased donut pan, filling each donut cavity about 3/4 of the way full (this batter can make about 7-8 donuts).
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until the donut 'springs' back when touched. Allow to cool a few minutes before removing from the pan.
- In a bowl, mix together powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and espresso powder. Add in coffee, and heavy cream, and whisk until combined.
- Dip each donut into the glaze, and top with crushed espresso beans. Allow the glaze to set, about 10 minutes.
Here are some other donut recipes I love:
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
YES! I feel like I need caffeine a hundred times more on Mondays! These donuts sound perfect! Love the espresso beans on top, and of course, the chocolate. Definitely what I need for breakfast today!
Vivian | stayaliveandcooking says
I am a big breakfast eater too! It’s such a good way to start your day in a positive way (woah I rhymed), and I don’t mind taking some extra time for it. That being said, I’m a big fan of ANYTHING coffee too! I usually make my breakfast oats with some espresso, so this is right up my alley. Pinned!
Des @ Life's Ambrosia says
These look absolutely wonderful! I would love some for breakfast right now!
julie Blanner says
Oh my goodness!!! These donuts!!!! A perfect breakfast and snack! I love anything coffee. You have my attention for sure!
My kids love donuts, so they would be thrilled if I made these. They look incredible!
katerina @ diethood.com says
WOW!! My kids will be in LOVE with these donuts!! They look SO good!!
Cathy | Lemon Tree Dwelling says
An extra boost of coffee deliciousness in the morning (or afternoon)? Yes PLEASE!
Angie | Big Bear's Wife says
Perfect little donuts! I love the toppings too! I need to make these!
Lauren @ Hall Nesting says
Chocolate, espresso, and donuts all in one – you are speaking my love language!
Julia @ HappyFoods Tube says
Michelle, these donuts look fab! I’ve tried making baked donuts once and it wasn’t a huge success. Gotta try again!
Agness of Run Agness Run says
Definitely my favourite recipe for donuts. The mixture of chocolate and espresso is incredible. Thank you Michelle!