Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Donuts — These Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Donuts are baked instead of fried! These homemade pumpkin donuts are perfect for a fall breakfast or sweet fall dessert. Plus, this pumpkin donut recipe is so easy! And, it’s topped with a sweet Cinnamon Espresso Glaze!
Fall finally made its way here and I’m so happy I could cry. (But for reals, I’ve got a pack of tissues nearby.)
We’ve pretty much had a prolonged summer, and while I do love me some summer, I can’t handle 100 degree temps in October. I just can’t.
I mean, we don’t get significantly cold temps in the fall, but I need it to be at least in the 70’s range to really enjoy the fall foods. Pumpkin Coffee Cake and a Maple Pumpkin Spice Latte just doesn’t taste the same in shorts and the A/C on full blast.
Technically, these sweet little Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Donuts were made a few weeks back (during the sauna fest of 2017), as I was hoping a “if you bake it, fall will come” thing would be happen (it didn’t). But, these were delish nonetheless!
All right, so the best gift I ever gave to myself was a donut pan. I use that bad boy all of the time (a couple favorites: Chocolate Espresso Donuts and Apple Pecan Donuts), and love how easy it is to make baked donuts at home.
(I’m a wuss, and learning how to make donuts from scratch with the whole yeast/hot oil thing gives me all the anxiety. With a donut pan, learning how to make baked donuts was a breeze.)
Also, I’m not entirely sure if this is true or not, but I’m pretty sure that, like, 3 baked donuts are the equivalent of a fried one.
It sounds about right, yeah?
Okay, so let’s get down to the nitty gritty (name that movie) of this recipe.
It’s a one-bowl recipe, which means the clean-up for this recipe couldn’t be easier! Less dishes and amazing food?? Sold.
If you add the glaze on top (which I highly recommend!!), you do technically use a second bowl… But it’s entirely worth it.
Oh, and lastly, you can totally make these in a mini muffin tin and turn these Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Donuts into mini chocolate chip baked pumpkin donut holes!
Donuts for life.
Yields 7-8 Donuts
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Donuts -- These Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Donuts are baked instead of fried! These homemade pumpkin donuts are perfect for a fall breakfast or sweet fall dessert. Plus, this pumpkin donut recipe is so easy! And, it's topped with a sweet Cinnamon Espresso Glaze!
25 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
37 minTotal Time
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp sour cream (optional, it just yields a richer texture)
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet (mini or regular-sized)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp whole milk (2% is fine as well)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder (you can omit this if you want, making a cinnamon glaze instead)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 6-count donut pan well.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add in add in the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Gently stir until just combined (batter will be very thick).
- Add in sour cream, butter, and pumpkin puree. Mix until well combined.
- Lastly, add in chocolate chips.
- Spoon or pipe batter into the donut pan.
- Bake donuts for 10-12 minutes, or until the donuts have risen and the tops of the donuts 'spring' back when lightly touched.
- Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from the tray.
- In a bowl, whisk powdered sugar, cinnamon, and espresso powder with vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp of milk until smooth (if the glaze seems too thick, add in the last Tbsp of milk).
- When ready to glaze the donuts, give the glaze a quick stir, then dunk each donut about halfway into the glaze. Place donuts on a wire cooling rack to give the glaze time to set (about 10 minutes).
Here are some other recipes you might enjoy: