This easy monkey bread recipe is made with pre-made biscuit dough and stuffed with peanut butter chips and chocolate chips! When rolled in cinnamon sugar and topped with peanut butter caramel sauce, this dessert is a sure fire hit!
I feel like if there is one thing you should make in your life, it should probably be this monkey bread.
I’ll give you 3 reasons why:
1. Biscuit dough.
2. Chips–chocolate and peanut butter, that is.
3. Peanut butter caramel sauce.
Needless to say, it’s amazing.
And potentially–potentially (I make no promises, but…)–life changing.
I’m slightly ashamed to admit this, but back in college, on American Idol nights, a bunch of us (okay, only like 4 or 5 of us) in my dorm would buy allll the desserts and indulge on them all during the 2-hour period.
My contribution was always monkey bread (I’m a really, really good friend to have around 😉 ).
Now, chocolate and peanut butter is one of my absolute favorite combinations. I love it in cookies, in cake, banana bread—I digress.
I had a feeling that it would taste amazing stuffed inside monkey bread. I don’t know, call it instinct or a gut feeling, but I was pretty sure it was going to be a winner.
Boy, was I right.
Chocolate and peanut butter stuffed inside dough rolled in cinnamon and sugar and drenched with a peanut butter caramel sauce. I’m just going to leave that there.
Most traditional monkey bread recipes are baked in a bundt pan, but I have a thing for cute food. And, what’s cuter than mini monkey bread cups? Plus, when in muffin cups, they’re portable and can be taken on-the-go (I’m a sucker for any dessert that can be taken with me anywhere I go).
A lot of monkey bread recipes use a homemade dough, which is perfectly fine, especially if you have a go-to recipe. However, for me, when it comes to desserts like this, I have a hard time with patience, and waiting for the dough to proof is killer when I’m craving monkey bread, so I like to use pre-made biscuit dough. It’s simple and delicious!
- 1 can refrigerator biscuits I use Pillsbury Grands
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips milk or semi-sweet are fine as well
- 1/3 cup peanut butter chips
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1-2 Tbsp milk or cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners (this recipe makes about 10 mini monkey breads).
- Cut each biscuit into 4-5 pieces (depending upon how large each biscuit is).
- Flatten each piece in the palm of your hand and place 2 dark chocolate chips and 2 peanut butter chips in the center. Fold the dough completely around the chips (so the chips do not show) and roll it into a ball.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon together. Roll each piece of dough in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place sugared dough into the muffin cups; 3-4 per cup.
- If there are left over chocolate and peanut butter chips, feel free to add extras in and around the dough.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, 1 Tbsp milk (or cream), and vanilla extract. Once all ingredients are combined, bring to a boil. As soon as it's boiling, take it off the heat. If the sauce is too thick, add in the last Tbsp of milk (or cream).
- *Spoon a little of the sauce over each muffin cup, repeating until you are out of sauce.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown.
- Best when served warm. Enjoy!
This post first appeared over at Julie’s Eats & Treats where I’m a contributor.
Here are some other recipes you might love!
Double Chocolate Chip Reese’s Cookies
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread with Peanut Butter Icing
Chocolate Peanut Butter Oreo Cake
I loved monkey bread growing up! I love these individual sized options!
Heather | All Roads Lead to the Kitchen says
Yum, these sound delicious, love that combo – and love how simple they are to put together!
eat good 4 life says
Oh wow, such a great idea. I love peanut butter and chocolate together so this is just great!
Trish - Mom On Timeout says
Had me at peanut butter and chocolate 🙂 So fun for brunch!
Angie | Big Bear's Wife says
Chocolate, peanut butter and caramel in monkey bread sounds like perfection! Can’t wait to make this!