This classic banana bread is filled with sweet chocolate chips and topped with the best peanut butter icing! The peanut butter glaze and the melty chocolate chips make this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe absolutely to die for! You’re sure to love this quick and easy snack or dessert!
You know how back here, I mentioned how I just couldn’t get into the spirit of fall because it was a 100 million degrees and I wanted to swim in a vat of ice cream?
Well, I am a hypocrite.
A giant one, in fact, because today I woke up to overcast, 60-degree weather, and I wanted nothing more than to drink a pumpkin spice latte and start a fire in my non-existent fireplace.
Tomorrow, the forecast is scheduled to be a whopping 99 degrees, so clearly the weather is as bi-polar as my feelings of fall/winter are. It didn’t help that I watched You’ve Got Mail the other day and practically swooned over Christmas in New York during the wintery scenes of the movie. (On a completely unrelated note, can you believe that movie is almost 20 years old?)
If the weather is as warm as predicted, I might be swimming in the ice cream again, after all. But for now, let’s talk about this completely neutral, I-can-be-anytime-of-the-year-food, Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
I’ll be the first to admit it, I can be a little picky when it comes to banana breads. When it comes down to it, I have three criteria that my banana breads need to meet to make the cut:
1. Banana Flavor (It might seem like a given, but a lot of banana breads out in the world today lack a little something in the banana flavor department)
2. Moist (Because bread that tastes like sand should be outlawed)
3. Nut-less (I detest nuts in my banana bread, but love them in banana muffins. Try and figure that one out, because they are practically one in the same–I know, it’s weird)
This banana bread meets all the criteria, but also has a little something extra going on: chocolate chips and peanut butter icing.
Because, why wouldn’t you want to?
I ate the leftover icing with a spoon.
Yields 12-15 slices
This classic banana bread is filled with sweet chocolate chips and topped with the best peanut butter icing! The peanut butter glaze and the melty chocolate chips make this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe absolutely to die for! You're sure to love this quick and easy snack or dessert!
20 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 med-large bananas (or 4 small ones)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (1/2 cup if you prefer less chocolate)
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 2-3 Tbsp heavy cream (or enough to achieve a thick drizzling consistency)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease one 9x5 pan or two 8x4 pans.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and beat until mixed.
- To the wet ingredients, sift in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir until just combined.
- Pour in mashed bananas, and mix until combined. Add in chocolate chips; stir.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes (for two 8x4 pans) or until cake tester comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs stuck to it. If using one 9x5 pan, bake at 350 for 30 minutes; then lower the temp to 325 and bake for 15-20 or until cake tester comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs stuck to it.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Move to a wire cooling rack.
- In a bowl, beat peanut butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract with an electric mixer to create a thick drizzle consistency.
- When your banana bread has cooled, drizzle (or dunk) banana bread with icing.
If you like this, you might like these banana recipes: