This easy puppy chow recipe (muddy buddies recipe) is full of chocolate, peanut butter, and both Butterfinger Fun-Size Candy Bars and Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Minis! This easy Butterfinger Puppy Chow (aka Butterfinger Muddy Buddies) is the best party snack around! A perfect fall dessert recipe!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ReinventSweet #CollectiveBias
This easy Butterfinger Puppy Chow (aka Butterfinger Muddy Buddies) is such an easy fall dessert recipe!
It’s like chocolate muddy buddies met peanut butter muddy buddies and made the best dessert ever.
I’m pretty sure the best way to eat a Butterfinger is in some form of dessert.
I mean, am I right, or am I right?? (She’s the Man style, obviously.)
It’s the perfect way to take something already downright amazing and transform it into something over-the-top–aka, something perfect. (Ummm…I’m going to suggest you make these Chocolate Butterfinger Donuts immediately after this puppy chow).
It’s my life.
(I’m not even joking.)
And, plus, since I’m an adult and all (despite how ridiculously giddy I still get about candy bars), I can do whatever I want with any leftover Halloween candy.
(All my childhood dreams come to life.)
Butterfinger Puppy Chow is how every Thursday should look (or taste) like. In fact, in a perfect world, I’m pretty sure everyday would include Butterfinger Puppy Chow.
(Or really, everyday should include some sort of candy recipe, like these these Triple Chocolate Milky Way Cookies (oh yeah) or this Kit Kat Nutella Puppy Chow.)
All right, so when I was younger, I was that kid who loved her candy so much that she saved it for soooo long, it ended up going bad before she had the chance to eat it.
All the facepalms.
I did that with a lot of things.
Like my gel pens. I used them so sparingly because I never wanted them to run out that they ended up drying out before I even used half of them.
Or like with Barbie coloring books I had. I ended up growing out of them before I colored all the best pictures.
Yeah, life lessons here… (Maybe that’s why I love dessert so much, still can’t help myself from buying a glitter pen if I see it, and color in those adult coloring books any chance I get. #adultchild)
Easy Butterfinger Puppy Chow (Butterfinger Muddy Buddies) Tips & Tricks:
- I like to use a mixture of corn chex cereal and rice chex cereal. However, you can use all corn or all rice chex, if you prefer.
- The easiest way to cover the cereal in powdered sugar is to use big ziplock bags. It helps keep the powdered sugar contained, and it truly helps coat the cereal fairly evenly. Plus, it’s something that your kids might love helping you with!
- For the peanut butter cereal mixture, I used regular peanut butter. However, you could use peanut butter chips, if you wanted. It would definitely be sweeter, but it would definitely work.
Look at that chocolate. 😍
- 4 cups Rice or Corn Chex Cereal
- 4 oz baking chocolate, semi-sweet or milk chocolate,
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 6 BUTTERFINGER® Fun-Size Bars
- 1 cup BUTTERFINGER® Peanut Butter Cup Minis
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Over a double broiler or in the microwave (in 20-second increments), melt chocolate on low heat, stirring frequently to avoid the chocolate burning or seizing. Once melted, pull off of heat.
- In a separate bowl, melt peanut butter in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until liquidy.
- Chop the six candy bars into small pieces, set aside.
- Mix 2 cups of cereal with chocolate, stirring the cereal gently in order to coat all pieces evenly. Add half of the chopped candy bars to the mix, stirring gently.
- Mix 2 cups of cereal with the peanut butter, stirring gently in order to coat all pieces evenly. Add the last of the chopped candy bars, stirring gently.
- In 1 large gallon ziplock bag, mix 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and chocolate cereal together. Zip the bag up (with air inside) and shake the cereal until all pieces are coated with powdered sugar (some will be more coated than others, which is fine).
- In a second large gallon ziplock bag, mix 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and peanut butter cereal together. Zip the bag up (with air inside) and shake the cereal until all pieces are coated with powdered sugar (some will be more coated than others, which is fine).
- Once coated, mix both cereals in a large bowl, adding in the Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cup Minis.
Sharon @ What The Fork Food Blog says
What a fun snack and a great way to use up some of that Halloween candy!
MMM this sounds great! I can’t wait to try it!
Amanda | The Chunky Chef says
I just picked up some discount halloween candy, I’ll have to make this!
Justine | Cooking and Beer says
Ahhh. Puppy chow is one of my guilty pleasures, and I’m obsessed with butterfinger! Love how this recipe combines both!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking says
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What?! Butterfinger makes mini peanut butter cups?! I totally need to find those! And this puppy chow looks magical. 😀
eat good 4 life says
Wow truly the ultimate treat. The perfect indulgence for anyone around!
Sounds delicious! I want to put this in a tin and give it to my Dad for Christmas! How long will it last in an air tight container?
This is so good my grandson wanted me to send it to him at college. It’s kind of sticky Can you refrigerate it? Scared it might melt when I mail it but he will like it anyway