This easy puppy chow recipe (aka muddy buddies recipe) is full of Nutella, peanuts, and sea salt! This Sea Salted Nutella Peanut Puppy Chow is one easy snack you’ll want to eat over and over again!
Maybe I’m a little late to the party, but puppy chow, aka muddy buddies, is perhaps one of the greatest inventions in the world.
Growing up, I had never heard of puppy chow. I don’t know if it wasn’t known in my area, or if I somehow just completely missed it, but it wasn’t until college that I was introduced to the wonder that is puppy chow.
You know what I learned in that moment? Puppy chow is really good. Like, really good.
While the original recipe calls for peanut butter and chocolate (which literally is nothing but amazing), I’ve been wanting to experiment with different flavor combinations. Other than this Sea Salted Nutella Puppy Chow, I’ve made Butterfinger Puppy Chow, Kit Kat Nutella Puppy Chow, and even a White Chocolate Puppy Chow.
Clearly, I’m biased, but every single one of those puppy chow recipes is pretty much O-MMMM-G good. 😉
I think the worst thing about puppy chow and Nutella recipes in general (I’m a huge sucker for Nutella), is that they are so incredibly addictive it pretty much takes all the willpower I possess in the world to not eat the whole batch in one sitting. Longest sentence ever? ✓
The mix of flavors in this homemade puppy chow recipe creates a sweet, salty, and nutty combination that, put simply, works extremely well together. Nutella, while I love it, is a strong flavor. When combined with something as sweet as powdered sugar, it can need another ingredient to offset the sweetness. In this case, I opted for using sea salt and peanuts, which also give the puppy chow an added textural element.
You are so welcome for this recipe.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup honey roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 3 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and Nutella over low-medium heat, stirring constantly. Once smooth, sprinkle in the sea salt, and remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently mix the peanuts and rice cereal.
- Next, pour the warm chocolate mixture over the cereal mix. Gently stir until the cereal mix is coated with the Nutella mix (some pieces will have more Nutella than others--that's okay. You just want to make sure that each piece is mostly coated).
- In a large Ziplock bag, pour in the powdered sugar.
- Next, pour the cereal mix into the bag. Zip the bag closed (leaving in air) and shake the bag until the cereal is coated with powdered sugar.
- Once completely coated, pour into a bowl or air tight container, and enjoy!