Learn how to make homemade whipped cream with this super easy whipped cream recipe. It only takes 3 ingredients and it comes together quickly! This easy homemade whipped cream recipe is the one I use for all desserts!
Homemade whipped cream is kind of the best thing ever. It’s rich and creamy, plus you can customize it any way you want to! And it’s EASY. Like, really easy.
Have you ever a met a celebrity?
I’ve been watching the baseball playoffs, and there was a commercial for, Buehler, one of the pitchers for the Dodgers, with Ben Stein doing the whole ‘Bueller’ thing from Ferris Bueller.
Of course, given that I love Ferris Bueller (I even have a ‘Save Ferris’ t-shirt), I thought that commercial was fairly clever (despite the fact it was an obvious connection). But, I once met Ben Stein in real life. 🙌🏻
While it’s not as cool as having Daniel Stern congratulate you on your engagement (my brother gets to have that nice story to tell at parties), it was a pretty great moment to meet someone who played a role in an iconic scene (let’s also take a moment to reflect on how great he was in those dry eye commercials of the early 2000s).
I was down in Hollywood with some friends back in college and as we were getting into our car, I noticed Ben Stein was loading groceries into his car. The only words we shared began with my brilliant proclamation of, “You’re Ben Stein!” and ended with his polite response of, “Yes. Yes, I am.”
Ah, it was a great moment.
While that moment is really neither here nor there in terms of this homemade whipped cream recipe, but it felt like a good time to share. Thoughtful of me, isn’t it? 😉
All right, all right. So, how do you make whipped cream from scratch? It’s actually very simple and only takes a few ingredients.
Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- Heavy Cream (or Heavy Whipping Cream; they are in essence the same thing, it just depends what the brand calls it).
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
Truthfully, you can add a lot of other ingredients to your homemade whipped cream. For instance, you can add different extracts besides vanilla (almond extract is one of my favorites!), spices, herbs, etc.
For me, I tend to make either this classic whipped cream recipe, this 2-Ingredient Caramel Whipped Cream recipe, or this Cinnamon Whipped Cream Recipe. While you can choose to add whatever you want to your homemade whipped cream, the three above recipes tend to go with any dessert recipe (or even sweet brunch recipe).
Homemade whipped cream is such an easy way to add something special to any recipe. During the holidays, I make this whipped cream for everything—waffles, pancakes, french toast casseroles, pies, and coffee drinks.
I certainly don’t mind the canned stuff, but if you have a few minutes, making whipped cream from scratch is definitely worth the extra dirty dishes.
Plus, it’s just SO good. Eating it by the spoonful is 100% recommended and encouraged. 😉
Tips and Tricks on how to make perfect whipped cream every time with this Easy Homemade Whipped Cream recipe!
- You can use a handheld mixer or a standing mixer. In my experience, I’ve found my handheld mixer whips the cream a little quicker than my standing mixer, but both will work just fine. You can definitely make whipped cream by hand, but I’ve never done it.
- A lot of people will tell you that you have to chill the bowl first to make the best homemade whipped cream. I’m kind of ‘eh’ on that. Sure, if it’s super hot in your house, then maybe a chilled bowl is necessary. But for me, as long as the cream is cold from the fridge, using a room temperature bowl has never been a problem.
- Heavy cream doubles in volume. If you’re looking to make 2 cups of whipped cream, you’ll use 1 cup of heavy cream. If you need to make 1 cup, you’ll use a 1/2 cup of heavy cream, etc.
Hubba hubba. (Yes, I say that to all desserts.)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream or heavy cream, cold
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar more or less depending upon taste preference
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- With a standing mixer or a hand mixer, whip heavy cream until it begins to thicken (about 1-2 minutes).
- Once it begins to thicken, add in powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Continue whipping until the whipped cream forms soft-stiff peaks, depending upon your whipped cream texture preference.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve (homemade whipped cream lasts only a couple of days).