This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe is rich, fudgy, and full of sweet chocolate flavor.
Homemade zucchini bread is so simple to make and when topped with a cinnamon sugar crust, this double chocolate zucchini bread is irresistible!
When I was younger, I didn’t think zucchini bread was anything special.
And, it certainly didn’t constitute dessert in my book.
I mean, how could a bread chocked full of vegetables—green vegetables, to be exact—be special, let alone considered an acceptable dessert recipe??
Considering the fact I had never even tried zucchini bread, I certainly had a lot of pretentious notions about why and why not it was not dessert.
Umm, let it be known that you should never make assumptions, because this Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is most definitely worthy of a dessert title.
Despite my naive thoughts, chocolate + zucchini + cinnamon sugar = all of my dessert dreams (although, I certainly wouldn’t turn down a chocolate ganache or chocolate frosting over the top of this bread either…Note to self–GET ON THAT 😉).
Once I finally got over myself and tried zucchini bread, I pretty much knew I was going to have to eat my words, because zucchini bread was (and is) A-W-E-S-O-M-E.
During this time of the year, I’m slightly obsessed with all things zucchini–both sweet and savory (ugh, a little roasted zucchini with parmesan cheese?? I die.).
Ohhh! Aaaand, this Lime Coconut Zucchini Bread! A little tropical paradise in bread form.
While younger me thought veggies and sweet treats totally didn’t go (unless it was Carrot Spice Cake, because cream cheese frosting), the now me knows the best way to get your veggies is most definitely in a bread like this Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread. 😉
Now that I’m completely on board the zucchini bread train, there are tons of reasons why I love the addition of zucchini in a sweet dessert bread.
(I reaalllly wanted to make some pun about being on a ‘chew chew’ train…but I kind of thought you all might hate me and never make this bread recipe. I also realize I just kind of made the pun by explaining why I wasn’t making a pun… But, please don’t let anything–my cheese factor most definitely included–stop you from making this Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread!)
Okay, so let’s talk about the best chocolate zucchini bread in my world (and hopefully, if you give this easy zucchini bread recipe a whirl, it’ll be the best in your world too…clearly, I am NOT above making obnoxious hints).
First and foremost, zucchini makes the dessert bread ridiculously moist. Often times, dessert breads can be dry, especially the outside of the bread, as the outside of the bread can easily cook quicker than the inside of the bread. The addition of zucchini ensures the bread remains rich, moist, and fudgy.
Zucchini also adds great texture to the bread. Because the zucchini is shredded, it is a little reminiscent of shredded coconut, and adds just a nice bit of texture, or “mouth feel,” as they say. 😉
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Tips & Tricks
- As mentioned above, zucchini is an incredibly moist vegetable. While you do want the added moisture in the bread, you do need to slightly dry the zucchini before adding it to the batter, otherwise it will add too much moisture.
- The best way to dry out the shredded zucchini is to place the shreds on a paper towel and press/pat another paper towel on top of the zucchini a few times. This will remove any excess liquid.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe Tips & Tricks cont:
This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe calls for cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Make sure you use regular cocoa powder instead of Dutch-processed. Because of the way the leaveners react in this recipe (baking soda and baking powder), you need to use regular cocoa powder.
The cinnamon sugar topping is 100% optional. It adds a nice crust to the outside of the bread, but it can be omitted.
This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is everything. 🙌🏻
Yields 2 loaves
This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is rich, fudgy, and full of sweet chocolate flavor. Homemade zucchini bread is so simple to make and when topped with a cinnamon sugar crust, this double chocolate zucchini bread is irresistible!
30 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup greek yogurt, plain or vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (not dutch-processed)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 2 Tbsp brewed coffee
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease two 8x4 bread pans well.
- In a bowl, mix vegetable oil and greek yogurt together.
- Add in brown sugar and granulated sugar, and mix until well combined.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, and mix until combined.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder, and stir until combined.
- Mix in salt, cinnamon, espresso powder.
- Add in brewed coffee, shredded zucchini, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between both bread pans.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle on top of batter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from the bread pans, and continue cooling on a wire rack.
- Slice and enjoy!
This recipe was first posted on Julie’s Eats and Treats, where I am a contributor.
Here are some other chocolate recipes you might love: