Chocolate Caramel Thumbprint Cookies: These addicting homemade chocolate thumbprint cookies blend chocolate and caramel together to make an amazing dessert/midnight snack. Tomato/Tomahto. Rich, sweet, and practically perfect in every way. Perfect Thanksgiving dessert or Christmas cookie recipe!
Chocolate and caramel might just be the best thing ever.
I’m telling you, chocolate and caramel makes the world go round.
I don’t think this is historically accurate or anything at all, but I’m thinking that all those explorers who thought the earth was flat had never tasted caramel before.
It definitely makes things 3-dimensional. And these Chocolate Caramel Thumbprint Cookies? They’re as 3-dimensional and flavorful as it gets.
(I just really love caramel. We’ll leave it at that.)
These cookies are chocolate drops of greatness.
They start off with the same batter as these Hot Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies, which are pretty insanely good too.
I mean, s’mores meets hot chocolate in cookie form?
Saaaay whaaat? I know. I’m dying again.
Plus, adding caramel to the center is a great way to use any leftover caramel sauce you have, or caramels you were supposed to use to make caramel dipped apples, but instead made these (which were fabulously addicting but didn’t use up all the caramels).
These cookies are incredibly customizeable, as you can decorate them with Christmas sprinkles–holla!–toffee bits, or just plain chocolate.
They are so.
…to eat. But the decorating part is great too, especially if you have kids who love to bake. I do not have children, but I’m not all that different from a child (no shame in admitting my child-like spirit 😉 ) so I assume they would love having a sprinkle party with these cookies.
I would love to have a sprinkle party on everything.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder
- 1 Tbsp milk (any kind)
- 15 caramels (Kraft, or similar)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Andes Mint Bits
- Toffee Bits
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With a mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla. Beat.
- Once mixed, in a small bowl, sift cocoa powder, flour, espresso powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Slowly add dry ingredients into the wet. Mix until combined.
- Add in milk and mix until combined. The dough will be thick.***
- Roll dough into 1-2 Tbsp sized balls (depending upon how big of cookies you want). Once on the cookie sheet, press your thumb into the center of the cookie (the edges will crack slightly).
- Bake cookies for 10-11 minutes.
- Place caramels and cream in a microwave safe bowl. Heat mixture in microwave on HIGH power in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth. Spoon caramel into indentation in cookies.
- Next, with a double broiler (or microwave), melt chocolate chips.
- Once melted, spoon a little bit of the melted chocolate onto each cookie. If you want to add any chocolate drizzles, put some chocolate in either a piping bag or a small sandwich bag with the tip cut off and drizzle over cookies.
- Add toppings to your liking. Allow chocolate to set, about 30-60 minutes at room temperature.
- Enjoy with milk!
My favorite products used in this recipe:
Here are some other cookie recipes you might enjoy!