This sponsored post is written by me on behalf of FatBoy Ice Cream. As always, the opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make A Latte Food possible!
This Banana Split Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is a fun twist on the classic banana split dessert. Ice Cream Sandwiches, bananas, caramel sauce, hot fudge, whipped cream, and cherries make up this super pretty ice cream dessert! This easy no bake ice cream sundae dessert is the perfect way to cool off during the summer!
The other day, someone asked me, if I really had to choose, what I would rather give up: pizza or ice cream?
Immediately, I declared it was a tie, to which I was informed it was against the rules to say that and somehow ruined the spirit of the game (my eyes are still rolling from that).
What probably should have been a 15-second question-and-answer turned into a prolonged internal debate over the pros and cons of each, which led me to the verdict that I did not want to play this terrible game anymore. 😂
I just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t pick my favorite child.
All I know is that I don’t think I want to live in a world where I have to choose between a cheesy slice of heaven or a creamy, cold delight.
Especially when desserts like this Banana Split Ice Cream Sandwich Cake exist.
This pretty little dessert is made with all of the classic, old-school banana split ingredients, but it gets kicked up a notch by using ice cream sandwiches and turning it into an awesome, amazing ice cream cake.
Okay, so let’s talk about the main component, aka the star of the show, FatBoy Ice Cream Sandwiches. And boy oh boy, were these ever the star of the show.
FatBoy Ice Cream Sandwiches are the All-American dessert. Since 1925, they’ve been bringing real ice cream to real, husky ice cream sandwiches. FatBoy ice cream sandwiches live up to their name—they are tall, thick ice cream sandwiches (no skinny sandwiches or wimpy scoops here), that, as they say (and I 100% agree), “…the bigger it is, the more smiles it gives.”
For me, there’s something incredibly nostalgic about eating FatBoy Ice Cream Sandwiches. I’m immediately transported back in time to lazy summer days filled with running through sprinklers and laughing so much it hurt.
Ice cream was always a staple during the summer, but banana splits were a bit of a novelty for us. When I saw FatBoy Ice Cream Sandwiches, I knew immediately I wanted to showcase their flavor and versatility in a Banana Split Ice Cream Sandwich Cake.
This cake starts with a layer of FatBoy Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches. In the center of the cake is whipped cream, caramel sauce, hot fudge, mini chocolate chips, sliced bananas, and toffee bits (although chopped nuts would work perfectly as well). Lastly, FatBoy Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches are placed on top. The cake is covered with whipped cream, caramel sauce, and a sprinkling of toffee bits and mini chocolate chips.
And, of course, what’s a banana split without a maraschino cherry?? Each slice of cake was adorned with extra toppings, including a maraschino cherry, and it was amazing.
Thanks to FatBoy Ice Cream Sandwiches, this Banana Split Ice Cream Sandwich Cake came together in under 15 minutes.
Up top, guys! Up top.
Honestly, this cake is so simple to make, I would suggest assembling the cake 15-20 minutes before serving, and either serve immediately, or chill it for only 5-10 minutes (if anything was beginning to melt). Personally, I liked the fact that the bananas were soft, the whipped cream was soft, and the caramel sauce and fudge were still a little warm.
However, you are more than welcome to make it ahead of time and freeze it. Just note that the bananas in the center and the whipped cream on the outside will be frozen when you serve, giving everything a slightly different texture.
Summer dreams complete right here.
This Banana Split Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is a fun twist on the classic banana split dessert. Ice Cream Sandwiches, bananas, caramel sauce, hot fudge, whipped cream, and cherries make up this super pretty ice cream dessert!
- 6 FatBoy Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 6 FatBoy Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2 medium bananas, sliced (about 24 thick slices)
- 1/4-1/2 cup caramel sauce, use as much or as little as you desire
- 1/4-1/2 cup hot fudge sauce, use as much or as little as you desire
- 1/3 cup toffee bits
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- feel free to add in any other mix-ins you like, such as nuts, candies, etc.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Maraschino cherries
- caramel sauce
- fudge sauce
- toffee bits, mini chocolate chips, nuts, etc.
- extra banana slices
- In a mixing bowl with a standing mixer or hand mixer, whip heavy whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and continue to whip until it has thickened to the consistency of whipped cream.
- In an 8x11 baking dish*, place 6 FatBoy Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches side by side (there will be a little bit of extra room around the outside edge of the baking dish).
- Spread hot fudge over the tops of the sandwiches (it’s okay if it’s a little thick in places).
- Place sliced bananas on top (I did 4 slices per sandwich—see picture above for details).
- Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the bananas, and sprinkle toffee bits and chocolate chips on top.
- Spread about 1 cup of whipped cream over the tops of the bananas.
- Place the remaining 6 FatBoy Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches on top. Spread remaining whipped cream over the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle with toffee bits, mini chocolate chips, etc. And drizzle with extra caramel sauce, if desired.
- Serve immediately, or chill in the freezer until ready to serve (see my note above in the post about assembling/serving this cake).
- When serving, if desired, add maraschino cherries, extra caramel and hot fudge, and/or any other toppings.
*You can use a different sized baking dish if you desire. In this particular baking dish, the ice cream sandwiches will not fit flush against the sides of the dish, making it easier to frost with whipped cream. You could even assemble and serve this cake on a cake stand; however, I liked the baking dish, as the sides helped to contain anything that began to melt.
You can find FatBoy Ice Cream Sandwiches at almost any grocery store retailers, including Sam’s Club, so be sure to check out their locations here.
Also, FatBoy delivers a load of flavor within each of their large, fat packages. These bang-for-your-buck sandwiches come in a variety of flavors, so feel free to switch up the flavors in this recipe if you want to! Plus, check out their website for more recipe inspirations and promotions! Or, just enjoy the FatBoy Ice Cream Sandwiches all on their own! 😉
They’re totally a “You deserve it” indulgence!