Mocha Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies are dipped in chocolate, sprinkled with coconut, and perfect when sandwiched around rich caramel ice cream! It’s the dream team.
This isn’t the first time I’ve mentioned my love for mocha coconut frappuccinos, and it probably won’t be the last.
My soul died a little the day Starbucks decided not to bring back Mocha Coconuts for summer a few years back, and I may or may not have written a letter about my hopes and dreams dying along side the discontinued drink.
I’m not insane, I just sound it sometimes.
They brought it back last summer, but the price was also significantly higher, and I just wasn’t about it anymore. I mean, I’m still all about the mochas and coconuts, I just prefer to make them at home.
Or, in the form of mocha coconut caramel ice cream cookie sandwiches. Because, yum.
There are a few elements to these cookie sandwiches, but they’re worth every single step.
There are also probably quite a few calories to these cookie sandwiches, but they’re worth every single bite. That’s more or less beside the point, so let’s pretend I didn’t say that… (I guess I could just delete that and we could all really pretend I didn’t say that, but, well, where’s the fun in that?)
So, these cookies. What separates them from the crowd? Specifically, the addition of coconut, espresso powder, and coffee take these chocolate chippers from a classic to a these-are-the-best-cookies-in-life, or, something a little less dramatic like, a new favorite.
Plus, the extra chocolate and coconut, while completely over the top, is a must. You could leave it off, but, would you really want to? I’m going to answer for all of you by saying “No.” No, you wouldn’t want to.
It’s everything you could hope for in life.
Yields About 12 Large Cookies
45 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp brewed coffee, strong
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut
- Caramel Ice Cream
- Beat butter until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add in brown sugar and white sugar and beat until combined. Add in egg, vanilla extract, brewed coffee, and salt. Mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and espresso powder. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Once combined, add in the chocolate chips and coconut; mix.
- Chill the dough for 20-30 minutes, just to firm it up slightly. (Because I'm impatient, I typically scoop the dough onto trays and pop them into the freezer for about 5 minutes instead).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.
- With a medium cookie scoop (about 2 Tbsp of dough per cookie), scoop the dough and spread evenly on the cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart (the dough makes about 12 large cookies).
- Bake for 14-15 minutes, or until the cookies are slightly golden brown. Allow cookies to cool.
- Once the cookies have cooled, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second increments on 50% power, stirring after each hit in the microwave.
- Dip 6 cookies into the melted milk chocolate about halfway.* Lay each cookie down on parchment paper and sprinkle with coconut. Allow chocolate to cool, about 30-60 minutes at room temperature, or 15-20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Fill the remaining 6 with 1-2 scoops of ice cream and top with the 6 chocolate dipped cookies.
- Enjoy! Freeze leftovers.
If you want to dip all cookies into the melted chocolate, you will probably need to double the amount of melted chocolate.
My favorite products used in this recipe:
Here are some other recipes you might love: