These Easy Coconut Macaroons are made with only 6-ingredients! Plus, this is a gluten free macaroon recipe and it could not be easier. Step-by-step video below.
Homemade Macaroons without sweetened condensed milk are just as easy to make, plus, they’re even lighter in texture!
Well, I did it again.
Last week, I spent a day at the beach and managed to sunburn myself pretty badly in some areas. (Yeah, in southern Cali, you can pretty much spend 11 months out of the year at the beach. 😂)
This has been a constant struggle for the past few years of my life.
I mean, there have actually been times when I’ve come back from the beach with distinct outlines of handprints on my skin, clearly marking the areas I missed.
What’s a little perplexing and irritating about this particular time is the fact that I actually made it a point to slather on sunscreen–and slather it on multiple times throughout the day to avoid the pain, suffering, and months of having weirdly-uneven-sort-of-tan skin.
So…I’m either ridiculously terrible at putting on sunscreen, or terribly unlucky. Maybe both–I don’t know.
If you’re looking for me, I’ll just be in the aloe vera aisle clearing out the shelves. No biggie.
I’ve had my fair share of macaroons (can we just discuss that Sprouts makes the best store-bought ones ever?? Try them asap), but I’ve never tried my hand at them until my mom asked for them for her birthday.
My parents are cutting back on gluten, so these gluten free coconut macaroons ended up being the perfect substitute for a birthday cake. Super moist, super coconut-y, and super easy.
These macaroons are seriously the baking trifecta. If you love coconut, you are probably (I won’t commit to definitely, because we all live our own lives 😉 ) going to love these!
These Macaroons only have 6-ingredients:
- egg whites
- granulated sugar
- almond extract
- vanilla extract
The almond extract is not a typical ingredient in coconut macaroons, but I happen to love the subtle nutty flavor it gives these cookies.
Coconut Macaroons Tips & Tricks:
– There are tons of different coconut macaroon recipes. There are recipes for coconut macaroons with condensed milk, coconut macaroons without condensed milk, chewy coconut macaroons, coconut macaroons with flour, gluten-free coconut macaroons…I digress. For this particular macaroon recipe, I opted for egg whites and sugar rather than sweetened condensed milk.
– Making coconut macaroons with egg whites yields for a light yet chewy texture that isn’t too sweet or too dense.
– These macaroons are also naturally gluten free. If you are in search of an easy gluten free dessert (or easy gluten free cookie recipe), these macaroons are the solution to all of your problems! Well, at least all of your gluten free dessert problems (umm but so is this Mocha Flourless Chocolate Cake). Let’s not get too crazy now. 😉
These easy homemade Coconut Macaroons are so simple to make and taste delicious! This Coconut Macaroon recipe has only 6 ingredients, making it the easiest gluten-free dessert! Plus, a step-by-step video below!
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- a dash of salt, around 1/8-1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups sweetened coconut, shredded
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add egg whites, sugar, salt, almond extract, and vanilla extract.
- With a hand mixer, beat egg white mixture until thick and frothy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut to egg white mixture, and stir until combined.
- With a small cookie scoop or two spoons, scoop the macaroons into 1" balls. Place on the baking sheet, about 1-2" apart.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the macaroons are golden brown.
Here are some other cookie recipes you might enjoy: