These easy banana bread scones are naturally sweetened with maple syrup (refined sugar-free).
This banana bread scone recipe is light, full of flavor, and topped with a naturally sweetened maple cream cheese frosting!
We’ve been surviving through some pretty rainy weather over here, which, for drought-ridden California, is kind of a big deal.
It’s been unseasonably cold, windy, and, as mentioned above, rainy (at least unseasonably for the past 6 years or so). Freeways flooded, mudslides and rock slides closed streets, and there were avalanche and tornado warnings. Some schools even closed due to the rain.
Let me just tell you that many cities (or perhaps southern California as a whole) were not built with rain or flooding in mind. Proper drainage systems are pretty much non-existent in a state where rain is almost as non-existent. Between the flooding, downpours, heavy gusts, and California drivers in general, driving in the rain is real joy.
Despite sometimes feeling like I’m taking my own life in my hands while driving in the rain, I do love rainy days. There’s something ominous and beautiful about the rain, and I find the sound extremely comforting.
The only thing that could make the comforting sound even better would be a full plate of these Naturally Sweetened Banana Bread Scones. Yes, I did say naturally sweetened. 😉 You can eat your scone and have it too.
So, you all pretty much know that sugar and I are no strangers. While I have no issue with indulging in desserts and other sugary items on the regular, I also have no issue whatsoever with eating something naturally sweetened (because then I can more dessert…).
Plus, these banana bread scones taste incredible! The ripe banana flavor adds sweetness, and the subtle addition of maple syrup not only brings out the banana flavor, but also adds a hint of sweetness as well.
Because I love cream cheese icing, which I definitely talked about in excess over in my Carrot Cake Banana Bread post (I’m sorry), I couldn’t not add it onto these scones! Plus, it’s naturally sweetened as well!
Win win, y’all!
All the taste and none of the guilt! You can thank me later. 😉
A Latte Food
Yields 8 Banana Bread Scones
These easy banana bread scones are naturally sweetened with maple syrup (refined sugar-free). This banana bread scone recipe is light, full of flavor, and topped with a naturally sweetened maple cream cheese frosting!
20 minPrep Time
16 minCook Time
36 minTotal Time
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 8 Tbsp cold butter, cubed
- 4 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup light sour cream (or greek yogurt)
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, cinnamon, and baking powder together. Add in cold butter, and mix with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in the mashed banana, vanilla extract, maple syrup, milk, and sour cream (or Greek yogurt), and mix until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and pat the dough into a circle, about 1" thick. Cut into 8 equal triangles.
- Press walnuts onto the tops of each scones.
- Bake for 16-17 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- While the scones are cooling, mix butter and cream cheese together until combined. Add in maple syrup and mix until combined. Put cream cheese icing into a pastry bag and drizzle over each scone.
Here are some other recipes I think you’ll love: