This easy banana nut muffin recipe is light, fluffy, and full of sweet banana flavor! Banana nut muffins are the perfect breakfast, brunch, or snack!
My family will be heading up to the snow in a couple of weekends for our annual winter snow trip. The thing is, for the past couple of years, the snow has been minimal at best. This year, however, they’ve had something like 26″ of rain and tons of snow.
For someone who lives in a climate where flip-flops are appropriate all year long and the bitter cold winter is approximately 2 weeks out of the whole year, I don’t exactly own snow clothes. While I’m pretty stoked about the snow, I’m in a bit of a dilemma over what to pack.
I mean, I wear cardigan sweaters that are crocheted purposefully with holes in them. The sleeves are pretty much just a formality since they don’t actually provide any warmth (because of said holes). It’s going to be a cold, cold trip.
But, being that it’s my family, there will surely be an endless supply of coffee, which I’ll obviously have to drink since it’ll be so cold. Obviously, there will also be muffins, because what’s a cup of coffee without a muffin? A Banana Nut Muffin, to be exact.
Lonely. A cup of coffee sans muffin is lonely.
These banana nut muffins can easily be made into banana muffins if you are not a nut person (no judgement here). I used to be that person–the one who avoided muffins with nuts like the plague. I was totally that one person awkwardly in the coffee shop dissecting my muffin in order to remove all traces of nuts on top or inside.
It was actually banana nut muffins that changed my viewpoint on muffins and nuts, and now I’m a total convert to the N-U-T side. I’m still not all that keen on nuts mixed in the batter. I don’t know, that just seems a little too crazy for me, but nuts sprinkled on top is a thing I can definitely get behind. The nuts get all toasty and delish, and they add texture to the muffin top, aka, the only part of the muffin worth eating. 😉
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas, about 2-3 medium bananas
- 1/3 cup sour cream, or greek yogurt
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, canola oil, and vanilla together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add in the wet ingredients. Mix until mostly combined (it's fine if the dry ingredients are not completely incorporated at this point).
- Add in mashed bananas and sour cream. Mix until batter is completely combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between muffin cups. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top of batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until muffins are turning golden brown and a toothpick (inserted in the center) comes out clean. Allow to cool.
Here are some other banana recipes: