This microwave molten chocolate mug cake is rich, fudgy, and ready in under five minutes! Rich chocolate cake is filled with warm, gooey chocolate truffles. It’s the perfect single-serve dessert (easily can be doubled for two!) and is sure to fix any chocolate craving. Plus a video below!
Let me just begin by apologizing–apologizing for sharing with you the easiest, richest dessert you can make in less than five minutes. I take absolutely no responsibility if this becomes your newest obsession.
Have you ever had cake in a mug? It’s genius. I used to make mug cakes all of the time in college, because nothing gets you through a late-night cram sesh like a mug full of chocolate cake with a warm, melty chocolate center.
These days, I can’t quite justify making molten chocolate mug cake as regularly as I once did, but today was one of those ‘I-need-chocolate-and-I-need-it-now’ kind of days.
So, I decided to bring back the mug. The molten chocolate cake mug, that is. I love and hate myself all at the same time.
Let’s just talk about the finer qualities of mug cakes:
a. They’re portable (I may or may not have smuggled a mug cake or two into the library; it’s fine, I used to work there).
b. The mug is the perfect dish to hold cake toppings–ice cream, whipped cream, extra chocolate (guys, this is no time to hold back).
c. The batter is mixed and made in the same mug.
d. CHOCOLATE on CHOCOLATE. The shouting was definitely necessary. 😉
Plus, it only takes a few ingredients, and is baked up in 60-90 seconds.
Lastly, let’s talk last-minute Valentine’s Day desserts…because this would be perfect! For the single and taken alike. 😉
Team single can make this recipe as is, since it’s a single serve dessert, while team taken can double the recipe and split the batter into two mugs.
Top with some red & pink sprinkles, and you’ve got an easy chocolate dessert that’s the perfect way to end (or start if you’re single, am I right??) Valentine’s Day.
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp brewed coffee (if you do not want to use coffee, you can substitute this with another Tbsp of milk)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 chocolate truffles, like Lindt milk chocolate truffles
- 1 Tbsp water
- Whipped Cream
- Ice Cream
- Chocolate Shavings
- In a regular-sized mug, mix melted butter and brown sugar together.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk together.
- Add in coffee, and whisk.
- Press truffles into the center of the mug, making sure they are completely submerged in the batter.
- Top with water (do not mix--the water provides a steam bath that not only adds extra moisture to the cake, but also gives the cake a nice texture).
- Cook in the microwave for 60-90 seconds. Each microwave is different, so keep an eye on the cake to make sure it does not over bake. The center should look slightly gooey, while the outsides of the cake should 'spring' back when touched.
- Top with whipped cream, ice cream, extra chocolate, or whatever toppings you have on hand.
Here are some other easy desserts:
White Chocolate Raspberry Brownie Bites
Strawberries & Cream Sandwich Cookies
I would love to sit down with one of these in the evening!
eat good 4 life says
I forgot how easy and yummy this is to make. Your version looks superb!
Michelle @ The Complete Savorist says
Holy cow. This looks like an amazing dessert for Valentine’s Day!
Melanie | Melanie Makes says
Love how easy this single serving mug cake is!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
Ok I’m seriously DROOLING over here after watching your video! This looks AMAZING, Michelle! I do love mug cakes, but have never made this with truffles in the center before. Such a perfect way to get that gooey center. I love this and can’t wait to try it!
Sarah @Whole and Heavenly Oven says
Oh my gosh, easiest dessert EVER! I would be in huge trouble around this because I’d have absolutely no self control!
Kelly - A Side of Sweet says
I’m chocolate obsessed! This looks perfect for Valentine’s day!
Oh wow! This is definitely a must try!! It looks SO good!
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
That sounds delicious, the perfect thing for a chocolate craving!