Thank you Potatoes USA for sponsoring this post. Make a delicious and convenient meal for your family tonight with potatoes!
This Cheesy Asparagus Potato Tart is a savory tart filled with sliced white potatoes, asparagus, sharp white cheddar, and fresh rosemary! This potato tart is full of rich flavor, making it a perfect brunch or dinner dish for fall!
If I didn’t possess the uncanny ability to kill every plant I dare to even look at, I would totally be that person who had the herb garden to end all other herb gardens.
I’ve always secretly loved the idea of being able to pull an Ina Garten and frolic (have you seen her in her shows? She’s such a frolicker) out to my herb garden whenever I wanted to.
Rosemary, basil, mint…
Ahh, it must be nice.
You know what else is nice? This savory potato tart.
Now, I have a real thing for potatoes. I’ll take them roasted, and I’ll take them baked. I’ll take them mashed, and I’ll take them grilled. As a key staple in every cuisine around the world, clearly I’m not the only one who has a love for all things potato. 😉
And you know what? I’ll especially take them baked in a tart filled with asparagus, cheese, a bit of cream, and a pinch of rosemary.
The flavors in this tart are perfect for the fall season. The richness of the cheese and cream mixed with the earthy flavors of the tender potatoes, asparagus, and fragrant rosemary makes for a wonderfully comforting dish.
Despite the rich flavor of this Cheesy Asparagus Potato Tart, this recipe requires only a few ingredients.
Potatoes are incredibly convenient and versatile, which makes them the key ingredient to this tart. The white potatoes are the perfect foundation for this tart, as their mild their mild flavor pairs perfectly with the other ingredients in this recipe.
While I used white potatoes in this recipe, you could definitely use yellow potatoes or even red potatoes. Every potato has a unique set of characteristics, and knowing the characteristics of each can help you understand the best way to utilize them in recipes. You can learn more online at Potato Goodness! Plus, visit their Facebook page to keep up with all the potato happenings!
Finally, when it comes to the tart crust, you can make a homemade crust or use store-bought dough. For convenience sake, store-bought dough works tremendously well in this recipe.
However, if you have a tried and true pie crust, you are more than welcome to use that in this recipe.
Do what feels right.
Cheesy, potato glory.
- Store-bought pie dough (9" or homemade 9" pie dough)
- 4-5 white potatoes, thinly sliced (skin on is fine)
- 1 cup asparagus spears, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup White Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 3 tsp chopped rosemary, fresh
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- fresh rosemary, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out pie dough into a 9" circle, and fit into a 9" tart pan (or, if you don't have a tart pan, you can use a 9" pie dish).
- Arrange about half of the potato slices on top of pie dough in a layered, shingle pattern.
- Spread half (1/2 cup) of the chopped asparagus on top of the potatoes. Top with 1/2 cup of cheese. Sprinkle about 1 1/2 tsp of rosemary on top.
- Arrange the remaining potatoes on top of the cheese and asparagus.
- Spread the remaining asparagus, cheese, and rosemary on top of the potatoes.
- In a bowl, whisk heavy cream, egg, salt and pepper. Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes, and let the tart sit for 5 minutes (this allows the cream mixture to settle into the tart).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Top with fresh rosemary, if desired.