This easy fruit crisp recipe is filled with sweet apples and fresh cranberries, and is topped with the best brown sugar cinnamon crumble! A simple dessert perfect for the holiday season!
Hi, my name is Michelle, and I have an obsession with Christmas candles.
It’s a problem, guys.
If I’m somewhere where they sell seasonal candles, I can’t help but stop and sniff every single holly-jolly-maple-pumpkin-apple scented candle the store has to offer–sometimes twice.
It’s practically a compulsion.
Since we are getting all confessional and all, I actually spent so much time in Bath and Body Works the other day going through all of their candles (and getting embarrassingly excited over the fact they brought back my favorite scent), four different sales clerks as if I needed help finding anything.
Well, for those of you like me who have a thing for candles and baking, you’re going to l-o-v-e this Cranberry Apple Fruit Crisp.
Trust me, your house will smell better than the Christmas candle(s) you spent way too much money on, yet justified it by telling yourself, ‘it’s the season.’
Plus, the crisp is edible, so it’s a win/win situation. 🙂 Am I right, or am I right??
Let’s talk about the components of this crisp. The ingredients used in this crisp are basic, household ingredients. The simplicity of the recipe makes this sweet crisp (with a hint of tartness) a breeze to make.
The fruit portion of this crisp uses apples, cranberries, lemon juice, vanilla extract and granulated sugar while the crumble portion uses butter, flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Despite there being 10 ingredients, it truly is a ‘throw together’ dessert that smells and tastes like the season. Top with a scoop of ice cream or dollop of whipped cream to make it the perfect dessert!
Also, look how beautiful the cranberries are against the brown crumble! They are bursting with flavor, however they are still gorgeous in color!
While I love the combination of cranberries and apples, the crumble is my favorite part of this dessert! It’s sweet, slightly crunchy, and exactly what the crisp needed. Serve it hot, warm, or cold, because every temperature tastes fantastic!
- 6 large apples sliced (I used Honeycrisp)
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 5 Tbsp cold butter cubed
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8.5x11 baking dish (or a baking dish that holds 2 quarts).
- In a large bowl, combine chopped apples, cranberries, granulated sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix oats, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon together. With a pastry cutter or a fork, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour fruit mixture into casserole dish in an even layer. Spread the crumble even over the top of the crisp.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the fruit is tender and the topping is golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
This post first appeared on Julie’s Eats and Treats where I am a contributor.
Here are some other favorite recipes!