This decadent banana bread is the dessert bread of dreams. It’s sweet, full of banana flavor, and topped with dulce de leche. It doesn’t get much better.
This is what breakfast, snack, and dessert all rolled into one glorious quick bread looks like.
It’s basically a crime not to make this, because, wait for it–
Drum roll please…
The glaze is straight dulce de leche.
If I hated banana bread, I would eat this just for the glaze. But I don’t hate banana bread. And I don’t hate dulce de leche.
This bread didn’t last long. I’m not even embarrassed ’bout it.
I’m also not embarrassed that the dulce de leche I used came from a store bought jar.
Homemade dulce de leche sounds like something I never want to attempt. I know it’s supposedly simple (thanks, pinterest), but I have things to do and foods to eat and it’s just not going to happen.
I know, I’ll wait 4 hours for a cinnamon roll, but I won’t stick a can of sweetened condensed milk in a pot.
You won’t be sorry.
- 3-4 medium or large bananas
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease one 9x5 pan or two 8x4 pans.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs and beat until mixed.
- To the wet ingredients, sift in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir until just combined.
- Pour in mashed bananas, and mix until combined.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes (for two 8x4 pans) or until cake tester comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs stuck to it. If using one 9x5 pan, bake at 350 for 30 minutes; then lower the temp to 325 and bake for 15-20 or until cake tester comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs stuck to it.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Move to a wire cooling rack.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat dulce de leche in 10 second increments, until it has begun to melt and is easier to work with. Pour dulce de leche over your banana bread.**
- Allow glaze to set and enjoy!
**Because the dulce de leche glaze is a bit messy, I usually place a silicone mat (paper towels would work as well) underneath my wire cooling rack to catch any glaze that might drip off.
Here are some other banana recipes you’ll love!
Skinny Strawberry Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Skinny Honey Banana Coffee Cake
Jess @ whatjessicabakednext says
This banana bread looks divine, Michelle! Love the dulce de leche topping! So yummy!
Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats says
bahah… I tried homemade dulce de leche… #fail… pinterest lies!!!! Store bought in this case is the way to go and topped on banana bread… girl you’re a culinary genius!
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
Caramel and bananas pair so well together! Love this 🙂
This looks amazing, I have been known to eat dulce de leche out a jar with a spoon so I can only imagine how good it would be on banana bread!
Lora @cakeduchess says
I have a problem with dulce de leche and banana bread…and now this problem is I’m having a massive craving for a slice! This looks perfect!
Katherines Corner says
Squeal!!!I invite you to share this yumminess at my Thursday blog hop. Hug
Wow! That Caramel on top looks AMAZING!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice says
Wow just pass me the whole loaf, please! Looks amazing, Michelle! I think I would devour this in no time!
Meg @ With Salt and Wit says
I am so glad I am not he only one that won’t attempt to make stupid simple things…like my own caramel. Like who doesn’t have butter and brown sugar lying around? But the idea of just throwing it in my cart? Oh sure!
And this banana bread? Get in my mouth!! YUM!
Katerina @ Diethood says
That needs to be tomorrow’s breakfast!! The whole loaf, please. Beautiful recipe!
Laura Dembowski says
Omg! This just looks so good! I wish I had a slice or two for breakfast!
Laura Dembowski says
This looks wonderful! I wish I had a slice or two for breakfast!
Nicole @ Confessions of a Frosting Fanatic says
I just bought a jar of dulce de leche today. It’s like the universe is telling me to make this bread next 🙂