This easy sugar cookie frosting (vanilla buttercream) is the perfect homemade vanilla frosting! It’s light and fluffy, and full of sweet vanilla flavor.
This vanilla frosting is my favorite topping for homemade sugar cookies! Plus a video!
How is it already the end of December?!
I keep telling myself I have all this time to buy gifts and bake Christmas goodies and do all the things on my Christmas bucket list…and time is ticking away at the speed of light and I just don’t know how I’m going to pack it all in.
And time, if any of you have that to spare. 😉
At least I did check one thing off my list: baking Christmas cookies with my sweet niece! My mom, sister, niece and I spent Saturday making homemade cutout sugar cookies with this super Easy Sugar Cookie Frosting, and it as one of those fantastic Christmas-memory-making-moments.
You should have seen her eyes when the cookies came out of the oven. 😍
Cutest thing ever.
Before I go on and on and start sharing pictures and videos (I am unabashedly that aunt), let’s get back to the reason we’re all here!
And, in the words of my niece, “It’s cookie time!”
Yes. Yes it is.
All right, so I’ve been watching Food Network’s Christmas Cookie Challenge, and let me tell you, there are some cookie artists over there.
Umm, I have discovered that I am not a cookie artist. I can do minimal designs with royal icing, buuut, frosting is more my jam.
When it comes to sugar cookie frosting, I am all about the vanilla buttercream. And thankfully, spreading buttercream on a cookie does not take any artistic ability whatsoever.
Hallelujah! Plus, I’m kind of in love with this frosting and I would pretty much slather this on everything, including a spoon.
It’s only a few ingredients (butter, powdered sugar, salt, vanilla extract and heavy cream or milk), and a homemade buttercream frosting recipe is so much richer and creamier than store bought frosting.
In truth, I used to be intimidated to make frosting at home. However, this recipe really is simple (you can see how simple in the step-by-step video!) and the rich vanilla flavor is unbeatable.
And, and, and! This Sugar Cookie Frosting is only 4-ingredients. Let’s talk about the Tips & Tricks for this Sugar Cookie Frosting!
- Start with room temperature butter. You want the butter to be soft to the touch but not liquid.
- Cream the butter for a couple of minutes (seriously!). It might feel like a long time, but it is worth it to get the butter extra creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time. Not only will this keep the powdered sugar from exploding everywhere, it also will help it mix more smoothly into the buttercream.
So, technically, even though I call this “sugar cookie frosting,” you can use this vanilla buttercream recipe on any dessert you want.
Oh happy day!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- food coloring, if desired
- With a standing mixer or hand mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes--it seems like a long time, but it's worth it!).
- Add in powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time (beginning with only 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar), beating well after each addition.
- Add in vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp of heavy whipping cream, beating well.
- If the frosting seems too thin, add in the remaining powdered sugar. If it's too thick, add in the remaining heavy whipping cream.
- If desired, add food coloring.
- Spread or pipe onto cookie!
- If making ahead of time, keep frosting in the fridge, and then let the frosting come to room temperature before spreading onto cookies.
*Allow the frosting to dry (10-15 minutes or so) before stacking in an airtight container.
Here are some other recipes you might like: