This simple potato salad recipe is full of flavor and easily customizable! With roasted red potatoes and bacon, this potato salad is irresistible!
Now that we are officially into spring, I can’t help but get a little giddy about picnics, barbecues, and long evenings enjoying the warmer nights.
Soups and stews are nice and all, especially when they come in a bread bowl (#ilovecarbs), but I am such a spring/summer food person. Grilled chicken, burgers, sandwiches, pasta salads, and smoothies are pretty much what I live for (apart from desserts, which = my whole life).
And potato salad. I straight love potato salad this time of the year.
Especially when the potatoes are roasted and bacon is involved. 😉
Do you guys remember Sandra Lee from the Food Network? Jogging-suit, semi-homemade extraordinaire?
Her show was one of the first ones I began watching way back in the day, and the very first homemade potato salad I ever made was her recipe. To be honest, I don’t even remember what recipe it was or how it was made, and I’m pretty sure I way undercooked the potatoes, but it was one of the first times I had ever attempted to make something completely from scratch on my own.
But, one of the best things about potato salad is how forgiving it is (unless you were like me and undercooked the potatoes, because there really isn’t any way to recover from that one). You can add pretty much any ingredients you want to it, including bacon, celery, onion, relish, hardboiled eggs, or bell peppers. It can be lightly dressed or loaded with dressing. It can be seasoned with just salt or pepper, or it can have a slew of other seasonings.
Basically, potato salad is fun and you can customize it however you want it!
This potato salad recipe is fairly basic with just a few ingredients, but using roasted potatoes, roasted peppers, and bacon definitely adds a depth of flavor to the potato salad that’s super unique. If you’ve never used roasted potatoes in your potato salad recipe, I feel like you most definitely should try it!
You won’t regret it!
Summer in a bowl.
- 3 lbs red potatoes cut in quarters
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 1 cup cooked bacon thinly sliced (I used turkey bacon, but regular is fine as well)
- 1 cup celery thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 tsp celery seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped hardboiled eggs
- 2 Tbsp pickle relish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a roasting pan with foil. Mix the potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper (I used roughly 1/2 tsp of both salt and pepper, but feel free to season to taste). Bake for 40-45 minutes (making sure to stir/flip the potatoes with a spatula once every 15 minutes), or until potatoes are golden brown and fork tender. Allow to cool, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, and cream cheese. Once smooth, add in celery seed, and stir. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, lightly mash half of the roasted potatoes with a fork or pastry cutter. Add in the rest of the potatoes, celery, bacon, and roasted red peppers (as well as any other add-ins you want). Add the dressing, and stir until the salad is evenly coated with dressing.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
This post first appeared over at Julie’s Eats & Treats where I’m a contributor.
If you like this recipe, here are some other recipes you’ll like!
English Cucumber & Tomato Summer Salad
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
This roasted red potato salad is delicious- I love red potatoes so much, they have great flavor!
Thanks so much, Medha! 🙂
We have not tried it yet but we are going to make it in the near future