Rich and creamy, this cake batter frozen yogurt treat tastes more like ice cream than it does frozen yogurt. A perfect guilt-free summer snack.
Confession: I’ve been on a real cake batter kick lately. I just made cake batter blondies, these homemade Funfetti cupcakes, made this cake batter fro-yo, and have been planning cake batter recipes in my head. I’m obsessed. My obsession extends so far as to look at cake batter pictures from Foodgawker and Pinterest while I’m on the treadmill, watching TV, taking a quick work break, etc. It’s becoming an addiction.
Now, I’ve always loved boxed Funfetti cake mix. I don’t know why, but it somehow just tastes better than other cake mixes–even my homemade ones. There’s something about the fluffy white cake mixed with brightly colored sprinkles that is incredibly addicting. But, I was experimenting in the kitchen, and viola! The funfetti cupcakes I mentioned above? Oh yeah. Way better than boxed cake mix. I’m now a homemade funfetti convert. Anyway, the point is, I love cake batter, funfetti, sugar, etc (as if you couldn’t tell).
This fro-yo treat embodies all of that. And more.
In college, one of my roommates (you know who you are) had this obsession with frozen yogurt, which was perfect because I had the same obsession (had/have–it’s all relative, right?). Glorious Yogurtland was right across the street from campus, which was both a blessing and a curse, and we made weekly runs over there to, of course, test out all of the flavors.
Now that college is behind me (weird) and there really aren’t any frozen yogurt places near me (and when I say near me I mean across the street), I make my own fro-yo. It just so happens my all-time favorite store, ahem, Williams-Sonoma, sold me my little beauty of an ice cream machine last summer so I have no excuse not to make ice cream/frozen yogurt.
I mean, do I never need an excuse to make sweets? Ha, nope. But it’s great to have one.
This recipe couldn’t be easier. And sometimes, that’s just what we all want. An easy and delicious dessert we can whip up at a moment’s notice.
- 2 1/2 c vanilla greek yogurt
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)*
- 3/4 c dry cake mix (yellow, white, funfetti)
- 1/4 c sugar (optional)*
- 3/4 c sprinkles
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together. Once combined, pour into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions. For my Cuisinart, it took about 20-25 minutes to bring this to my desired consistency.
- Eat right away, or store in a freezer container for a midnight snack!
- *I love the flavor of almond extract, but it is not completely necessary.
- *For the sugar, if you want to be a little healthier, feel free to leave it out. And, for other healthier options, opt for fat free greek yogurt and fat free cream cheese.
This is just too good. And with summer right around the corner, a cool treat for those blistering hot days is definitely in order.
Here are some other cake batter recipes you might love: