Lasagna Grilled Cheese: This sandwich is pure, unadulterated comfort food! All the lasagna ingredients sandwiched between two slices of grilled bread = Heaven!
Happy Friday, everyone!
How about kicking off the weekend with some amazing comfort food? Since it’s fall (finally!) and technically less than 3 months ’til Christmas (eeeek!), comfort food is a total must!
Which is great, because I really, really love comfort food. So much, in fact, if I was on a desert island and could only pick one comfort food to bring with me, I honestly don’t know how I’d choose.
I could go on and on–no really, I could–but I’ll spare you any more of my food love
But, really, how do you narrow it down when they’re all so delicious and amazing?
Well, on the bright side of reality, unless Lost actually comes to life, I won’t ever (fingers crossed) have to make cuts.
I hadn’t. I hadn’t even heard of it until I looked in the fridge, saw the leftover lasagna, the leftover lasagna ingredients, and the bread sitting right next door. And the epiphany hit: a grilled cheese lasagna.
Cheesy, cheesy mozz, parm, and ricotta spread over red sauce topped with tomato slices and sandwiched between two amazing slices of buttermilk bread.
Honestly, this recipe could not be easier. Or more delicious. Think pizza pocket meets calzone meets lasagna meets meatball sub.
It’s a lot of meetings, but it’s totally worth it. This sandwich is so comforting and full of such cheesy goodness that you’ll totally want to pull a Joey (Friends) and save it from a backfiring car.
You start by buttering two pieces of bread (I used Buttermilk bread, but sourdough, shepherds, english muffin bread, etc. would all totally be great here) on a bread board. Flip the bread so that the butter side is facing down.
Spread a little pasta sauce over one side of the bread and spread ricotta cheese over the over side of the bread. Place tomato slices and meatball slices (both are optional) on the pasta sauce side, then cover with mozzerella slices and a few parmesan cheese shavings. Place ricotta piece of bread on top of cheese, and grill the sandwich on each side for about 2-3 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- 4 slices of thick bread (any kind you like)
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp pasta sauce
- 2 Tbsp ricotta cheese
- 4 large tomato slices (optional)
- 2 meatballs cut into slices (optional)
- 2 slices mozzarella (or 1/4 c shredded)
- 2 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- On each slice of bread, spread 1/2 Tbsp of butter, making sure the whole piece of bread is covered evenly. Flip the bread over so that the buttered side is facing down.
- Spread 2 Tbsp of pasta sauce on 2 slices of bread.
- Spread 2 Tbsp of ricotta on the other 2 slices of bread.
- Place sliced tomatoes and meatball slices over the pasta sauced bread.
- Top with cheese.
- Place the other two bread slices, ricotta side down, onto the cheese.
- On a greased and preheated skillet over medium heat, cook each side of the sandwich about 2-3 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.