Hawaiian Grilled Cheese: These grilled cheese dippers have comfort written all over them!
And grilled cheese, of course. Lots and lots of grilled cheese. This weekend we’re having a lot of cheese with our bread. Actually, allllll of the cheese please, because grilled cheese is not the time for holding back the calories. There’s a time and a place for healthy eating, like with this recipe, and this one, and this one too.
But when it comes to grilled cheese, umm, more cheese please.
I love a good, classic grilled cheese. Sometimes you can’t beat a toasted cheesy sandwich. And when dipped (which is so easy when the grilled cheese is sliced in strips) in soup? It’s the complete rainy day meal.
However, I love taking the classic and turning it into something out of the box, like this Lasagna Grilled Cheese. Today, though, I was in the mood for the tropics. A little aloha oasis, if you will, with this Hawaiian grilled cheese. I’ve never had the opportunity to visit Hawaii, and I have a feeling this probably isn’t classic Hawaiian fare, but I felt a little tropical eating this.
The components of this sandwich are: cheese (cheddar and pepperjack, to be exact), smoked ham, canadian bacon (or turkey bacon or pork bacon), and pineapple. I used regular sandwich bread, as it was all I had on hand, but this would be perfect with sourdough bread or Texas toast.
To make this grilled cheese, all you do is butter one side of each bread, layer the sandwich with cheddar cheese, ham, canadian bacon, pineapple, and pepperjack cheese. Cook on med/low heat until golden brown. Flip and cook until the other side is golden brown and the cheese is melty.
Yields 2 sandwiches
5 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 slices pepperjack cheese
- 4 pineapple rings
- 4 slices of smoked ham
- 4 slices of canadian bacon, cooked if it already isn't (or pork or turkey bacon, cooked)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Spread one side of each piece of bread with butter, about 1/2 Tbsp per slice.
- To build the sandwiches, lay two slices of bread out, unbuttered sides down.
- Lay a slice of cheddar on each, 2 slices of smoked ham on each, 2 slices of canadian bacon on each, two pineapple rings on each, and each with a slice of pepperjack. Top with remaining two slices of bread, buttered side up.
- Over medium/low heat, cook the sandwiches until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Flip, and cook the other side until golden brown and the cheese is melting, about 3-4 minutes.
- Cut into strips, if you want them as dippers, or keep it whole.