Mocha Chip Brownies: These fudgy brownies are made with coffee, espresso powder, cinnamon, and topped off with a mocha chip frosting. Can you say a-latte yum?!
Well, here’s the thing: chocolate (cravings) know no bounds. They transcend the traditional holiday fare. And, well, pie will come tomorrow. But today is for chocolate.
Today is for decadent, knock-your-socks-off-even-if-you-aren’t-wearing-any mocha chip brownies.
Mocha chip brownies: upstaging desserts since the coffee bean was discovered.
These are the perfect reward for dealing with faulty Christmas lights. Have you noticed how obnoxiously fickle Christmas lights are? I mean, you plug them into the wall, they work great (igniting that Christmas spirit), you tediously wrap them around the banister, and then, when you plug them into the wall, half the strand is out.
Since vigorously shaking the lights and flicking them doesn’t seem to turn them on (but it sure makes you feel a little better), you have to painstakingly pull them off and begin again with a working set.
Oh, but wait. That set also dies.
The struggle is real.
Cheap Christmas Lights: Sucking the soul out of Christmas enthusiasts everywhere.
Unless you don’t like chocolate, which I find fundamentally weird (but to each their own 😉 ).
However, if you L-O-V-E chocolate, I’m telling you, this will bring a giant smile to your face.
Now, I know I’ve said this before, buuuuttt, boxed brownie mixes rock. I have a tried and true homemade fudgy brownie recipe that is bomb. But when you want something in a jiff, boxed brownie mixes are perfect. And so easy to make your own with a dash of creativity and sprinkle of doctoring.
With this boxed brownie mix, I substituted brewed coffee for water, added espresso powder, and cinnamon. So simple.
Even the mocha chip frosting is a cinch. Cream butter and powdered sugar together, add a bit of brewed coffee, a pinch of espresso powder, a dash of cocoa powder, and a little heavy cream. Mini chocolate chips and a sprinkle of salt pull the whole thing together.
Yields About 9 large brownies
10 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
- 1 box of brownie mix
- 1/2 c Oil (or how much your box directs you)
- 2 Eggs (or how many your box directs you)
- 1/4 c Brewed Coffee (or however much water your box directs you, e.g., if the box calls for 1/4 c water, use 1/4 c brewed coffee instead)
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp brewed coffee
- 1/4 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 c mini chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling ontop
- Preheat the oven to the temperature your box directs you to.
- For the brownies, mix together boxed mix, eggs, coffee, oil, cinnamon, and espresso powder until well combined.
- Pour into a foil-lined pan (I used 8X8, but you can use whatever size your box directs you to).
- Bake until the center is almost completely done (for my box, it was about 45 minutes at 325 degrees). When you insert a cake tester into the brownies, the tester should come out fairly clean with just a few fudgy crumbs stuck to it.
- Allow to cool.
- With a mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add in powdered sugar, beginning with 2 cups. Add in cocoa powder and espresso powder. Mix.
- Add in heavy cream and coffee. Beat.
- If the consistency is too thin, add in more powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time until it's at a consistency you like. If it's too thick, add in a little more heavy cream or coffee.
- Add salt to taste and mini chocolate chips.
- Spread over cooled brownies.