This easy lemon blondies recipe is rich, chewy and that perfect combination of sweet and tart. These chewy lemon blondies are topped with a lemon whipped cream frosting that makes them irresistible.
These easy lemon blondies are a combination between a lemon sugar cookie bar and a chewy blondie all in one. The lemon whipped cream on top is just the cherry on top.
We live in a magical age.
An age where you can connect with people almost instantly over technology.
An age where you can work practically from anywhere as long as you have a computer and a wifi connection.
An age where you can ‘drop’ things instantly via phones and computers to friends and family nearby.
And occasionally strangers if you’re not paying attention.
Nothing like sitting in a public place and accidentally sending a file of food pictures to a stranger instead of your own phone. It’s fine. You wouldn’t mind receiving a bunch of pictures of these easy Lemon Blondies, right?
Truthfully, I’m not even sure how you recover from that.
Do you raise your hand and make a blanket apology? Don’t make eye contact and pretend it wasn’t you? Call it a fantastic new marketing strategy and say you were trying to gauge people’s reactions?
Moral of the story: make sure you know the name of your phone when you’re file sharing.
And this magical age we live in? At least it has led us to being able to share recipes online for things like Lemon Blondies. They are about as magical as a dessert an be (I mean, if you like lemon desserts. And if you don’t, first of all, WHO ARE YOU, and secondly, I don’t know if we can still be friends).
Instead of swapping embarrassing stories, let’s swap recipes!
Of course, I’m all about this Easy Lemon Blondies Recipe (I mean, that’s why you’re all here, right?? I’m not naive enough to think you’re all just waiting on pins and needles each week for my amazing story telling abilities…😜).
But…once you try these lemon blondies, you should probably also make it a point to try these Strawberry Blondies and these Peach Blondies. And these Cream Cheese Lemon Crinkle Cookies.
Just a suggestion.
Moving on, let’s talk ingredients for these lemon blondies:
- LOTS of lemon juice and zest
- sugar (both white and brown)
- flour, baking powder, salt
- heavy whipping cream + powdered sugar + instant pudding (= stabilized whipped cream)
What makes these a lemon blondie recipe instead of a lemon sugar cookie bar?
While these lemon blondies are very similar to a lemon cookie bar recipe, blondies are slightly more chewier with a more caramelized flavor, which comes from the brown sugar.
However, because I didn’t want the molasses flavor of brown sugar to overpower the lemon flavor, I opted for more of a white (granulated) sugar to brown sugar ratio. Most blondie recipes call for more brown sugar than white sugar, but I switched it up here to ensure the lemon flavor was extremely prominent.
Again, while the ingredients are similar to that of a cookie bar recipe, the amounts used in this recipe yield that perfect chewy blondie texture.
Tips & Tricks for these Easy Lemon Blondies:
- The batter will be thick.
- Be careful not to over bake blondies. They are supposed to be soft and chewy and “fudge-like,” if you will (sort of similar to that of a brownie).
- If you do not want to top them lemon whipped cream, feel free to leave them plain or to top them with a lemon glaze or lemon icing. If you do top them with the whipped cream frosting, they should be refrigerated.
- These lemon blondies get their lemon flavor from fresh lemon zest and lemon juice instead of lemon extract.
Lemon lovers, rejoice.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp instant pudding (vanilla or white chocolate)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8x8 or 9x9 square baking pan with non-stick foil (this way you can lift the blondies right out of the pan and cut them). Set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy, about 1 minute or so. Add in granulated and brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, beating until well after each addition.
- Add in flour, baking powder and salt; mix until well combined.
- Mix in vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Spread batter (batter will be thick) evenly in prepared baking pan and bake for 25-26 minutes, or until blondies are lightly golden brown and no longer wet in the center.
- Allow to cool.
- With a standing mixer or hand mixer, whip heavy whipping cream and instant pudding (vanilla or white chocolate) until soft peaks begin to form.
- Add in lemon zest, lemon juice and powdered sugar. Whip until stiffer peaks form and it has reached the consistency of whipped cream.
- Spread over cooled blondies.
- Serve immediately and store leftovers in the fridge.
Here are some other lemon recipes you might love:
Leave a Reply